Accurate wooden clocks!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
kit
Old Timer

Accurate wooden clocks!

Post by kit »

I know that wooden pendulum clocks are built more as kinetic sculptures than timepieces, but it would be nice to have a clock that is both. To this end I've been looking into design ideas for a GPS-locked pendulum that is electromagnetically powered in a similar way to some of the Woodentimes clocks but which also compares the timing of the pendulum to the very convenient and deadly accurate "One Pulse Per Second" signal generated by GPS receivers. My plan is to use a small electric motor to move the centre of mass of the pendulum to keep it in step with the 1PPS pulses.

Another option, adopted by carveshop (http://www.carveshop.com/html/accuracy.html) is to adjust the amplitude of the pendulum to adjust it's timing relative to a crystal derived standard. They use an unusually high amplitude that varies between 15 and 25 degrees to give a little under 1% adjustment range.

Obviously either method could be adapted to crystal or GPS control depending on the desired accuracy and cost.

Has anybody else played with these ideas and what results have you had?

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Accurate wooden clocks!

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kit:

In the end, when striving for accuracy, the obvious question is "How Accurate?".
a reed switch, a chip and a coil could kick a pendulum as it crosses center, the power of the kick
( pulse width)) would then control accuracy.. up to a point...

I havent tried any methods to increase accuracy, or added electronics to a ticker.. I always figure I can
publish a ticker video and several people will build it, but as soon as I add electronics, very few will ever try it,
as the electronics scares many. ( though its really easier than its ever been.. ).

Id imagine a 5$ arduino chip could control a clock as long as the battery holds out.. Ive seen a few examples..

I wonder how popular an electronic version of a wooden clock (ticker) would be? Next step would be one you plug
in, then a stepper motor could be added.. run by a bluetooth arduino that checks the internet for sync.. No limit
really to what one could add..but then.. theres that stigma about a electrical cord or battery on a wooden mechanism...
Im not sure it doesnt detract to an amazing level..but maybe thats just me.

How about a poll? When anyone reads this, mention how you'd feel about a ticker design that encompasses
soem sort of electronics in it. Does it detract if a ticker took power ( battery or plug)? Would you try to build a
design that requires you to do some simple wiring or do you feel that a wooden sculptures "purity" or
craftsmanship is suspect if it takes power?  Im rather curious on this one, myself and Bob have had
this discussion several times, my feeling has always been it somehow detracts from a sculpture
if it has wires, how do others feel? Is it just me that feels that way ?

Its pretty easy for me, as I can program arduinos , wire or design circuits to drive a ticker,
but Ive never been sure anyone really wants or will build something electronically driven..
and Ive not been keen on having a cord trailing down the wall behind what I build personally..
even though I could then program it to do a heck of a lot more than typically.. All a matter
of esthetics I guess, but I woudl be curious to know how others feel.

So.. how much electronics is fair game in a ticker or clock that you may consider building..

a) None.
b) Simple battery pulse circuit to maintain pendulum timing..
c)  Inexpensive microprocessor driven stepper control device.. ( say 30.00 for power, motor and microprocessor components...)
d) Dont matter, Id never build a wooden sculpture anyway..

So if your reading this, hit reply and just enter a-d if your not up for a descriptive answer.. Id be interested in
what people think belongs in something they build..

Art

John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

A.

If I want accuracy I'll simply look at my iPhone.
I've built 34 wooden clocks and have have played with regulating some of these to about 10 seconds in 24 hours, just see if I could. Ultimately it's the weather that makes the difference.  For me deadly accuracy isn't where it's at.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

I hear you. :)

I was thinking more of very impressive hour chiming.. dancing monkeys or whatever. :)

Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art
I've only built one that chimes the hour and it is an order of magnitude more finicky to get it running reliably. I have several that "bong" on the hour or half hour. No dancing monkeys and not even a snail.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Dancing monkeys. Now there's an idea! Actually....NO!

Like you Art, I know how to program an Arduino and wield a soldering iron. My day job involves maintaining a machine that generates a million watts of wireless waves, so that's probably a good thing ;)

One of my biggest concerns about this design is going to be how the wires run. There will be a power cable from the wall wart powering the whole thing and a 5m cable for the GPS antenna. I appreciate all the concerns about the 'purity' of an electric wooden pendulum clock but it's an interesting design challenge and there's something I find intensely annoying about a clock that can't be relied upon when you have an appointment to keep (especially when I know how good I'd be at remembering to keep it wound!) but it's very appealing to have a visually interesting clock in a prominent position on the wall which can be the reference timepiece for the whole household.

I've been given the plans for the 'Sextus' clock from Woodentimes for my birthday so that will be the main project for a while. I will be working on the GPS-locked pendulum as well and then be using Gearotic to design a clock for it if I get it working reliably. No idea how accurately I can make the Sextus run but I don't see it being GPS-locked any time soon.

Kit
Last edited by kit on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

My vote - None.  Could I build one with electronics?  Yes, if it was fairly well documented.  Would I build one?  No.

Besides that, my wooden clocks provide dual functionality, one being a clock, the other being a hygrometer.  One stops at RH 60%, another stops at RH 65%.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Mark:

Tends to be my feeling as well, adding a wire to a wooden sculpture kinda cheapens it..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Mark, you could make a tick sensor and use them to run your dehumidifier :)

Kit, you could try a microcontroller and an RC servo in the weight to vary the pendulum length, just pretend it's extra mass :)

Kirk
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

marklazarz wrote: One stops at RH 60%, another stops at RH 65%.
Mark,
I hadn't thought of that dual functionality! When the clock stops there's a cyclone on the way.

Kirk,
My plan is to use a small GPS module from Adafruit ( https://www.adafruit.com/product/746) to provide the 1PPS signal and an Arduino microcontroller to do all the thinking. I'm going to use a small leadscrew to move the pendulum weight as this will maintain position without being continuously powered. In the long term I'd like it battery backed to survive power outages so that it can be set once and tell the correct time for ever more. For me, the pleasure of watching the movement of the clock will be enhanced by knowing that it's bang on accurate.
I have nearly 50 years more experience with electronics than I do with wooden clocks so this will be the easy bit. It's the mechanics of the clock and getting the aesthetics just right that will present the problems.

Stage one is to get a pendulum swinging reliably in time to pulses from a much cheaper oscillator circuit. If I can't get that bit working the whole project is bin-fodder.

I can imagine some of our readers raising their hands in horror, but it's this diversity of views that makes people so interesting.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>getting the aesthetic s just right that

Thats always the key.. no matter wires, weights or whatever..

:)

Art
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Hi;

I'm no artist, but for me if I get the WOW impression then I'm OK with some electronics inside.  The less subtle the better obviously, it's kinda like magic that keeps you guessing of how did they do that?  I do respect the views of this opposition, and I agree with most of it in general,  but I see this simply as another form of art.  A delicate balance exist between them for sure, but overall, it is still just another form of art.  Anyhow I believe similar debates is what keeps hobbyist experimenting, and who knows just what cool art device they may come up with someday?

Cheers
Bob
;) 
Gearotic Motion
Bob
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Well, this topic didn't so much get put on the back burner as stuffed in a box and dropped in the freezer! There ia a video on the forum of an electric pendulum from Oct 2017 (http://gearotic.com/ESW/FavIcons/index.php?topic=1778.0) but this is an all-new design of an accurate, electrically driven wooden clock.

There's a short video of the prototype at https://vimeo.com/343781598. The final clock will have all the weights and magnets on the back rim of the circular pendulum and all the electronics hidden in the base. The design is intended to be easily put into an exhibition without having to be hung on a wall and can be powered from a standard USB mobile phone charger.

The design uses a circular pendulum driven by an electromagnet which repels a permanent magnet mounted on the base of the pendulum. The electromagnet is triggered by additional magnets on the pendulum and a Hall effect sensor. The amplitude of the pendulum's oscillation is very high at about +- 45 degrees. At this amplitude small changes of amplitude also cause significant changes in period. Higher amplitude means a longer period which means too much drive makes the clock run slow. The drive to the electromagnet is normally enough to push the amplitude too high. By comparing the relative timing of the pendulum as detected by the Hall sensor with an accurate one pulse per second (1PPS) signl derived from a crystal oscillator or a GPS receiver, the drive is inhibited for some pulses to keep the amplitude just right. Additional cuircuitry makes sure the amplitude cannot go above or below set limits to improve reliability and starting.

Instead of a microcontroller and convoluted software which was the key element of the earlier work, this design uses every pre-computer-age electronic hobbyists favourite toy the 555 timer. Four of them and a few standard  logic gates do all the clever stuff. The final design will include a basic crystal oscillator and a battery to make a stand-alone piece for exhibition.

To help produce a compact design that can either sit on a shelf or mount on the wall I also used David Morrow's idea of using fixed arbours with the wheels each having their own bearings. This allows any number of wheels of diferent speeds to run on the same arbour. The only moving arbour is the centre one for the minute hand which also has the pendulum bearing mounted on it.

Kit
Last edited by kit on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kit:

My impressions? Well built, artistic and seems to run very well. I say
congrats on a fine project. I know from experience all the dicking about
you need to do to make it look as it does, way to go!.

I dont think the electronics in this case cheapen it at all , Id hide them
in the back and let it sit proudly on its shelf or mantle. Anyone
noticing it sitting swinging away will undoubtedly be left
with the (proper) thought that your something of a craftsman.

Art
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Art,

That's very kind of you to say so.

This is only the working model, I wasn't sure what drive power I'd need to move the whole gear train or what range of adjustment there'd be on the period whilst still running the ratchet properly. In practice there's been no problem with only a 5v supply and the peak current demand (when charging the capacitor that is discharged into the coil) is a brief 200mA so no problems powering it from a phone charger which was the aim.

The finished clock will be made from a variety of West Australian hardwoods using the CNC router that has taken up far too much of my time over the last year and more. At last I have a reliable (shouldn't say that out loud!) accurate machine for doing real work which is why I've finally been able to get back to the clock.

Kit