Lantern pinions, are they possible in Gearotic?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mphil
Old Timer

Lantern pinions, are they possible in Gearotic?

Post by mphil »

Hi
I've 3D printed off three wheels of my test clock gear train they wheels have come out absolutely brilliant!! Unfortunately I'm not having the same success with the pinions  :-\

The leaves are just too vulnerable and easily broken. I was wondering about exchanging these for lantern pinions and if Gearotic can generate these?
Otherwise any other solutions welcomed.

Many Thanks ;D
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lantern pinions, are they possible in Gearotic?

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

If you select Cage Gears you can design a wheel with appropriate holes to make
a lantern gear from.. ..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

@ArtF, could this be the same problem I had with 3D printing cage gears, where some of the pins just touched the base and broke off leaving a hole, and some were all the way through the base and were a solid part of it?  Did you ever get a chance to look at it?

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

I tried them at the time, and found they worked OK here. When it comes to the lanterns , I only ever really planned
on having them provide holes, not pins. The STL of the pin is inside the holes on my test, and that printed fine, but some
3d printers don't  like having stls inside other stls.. they prefer a composite stl with the pins welded into the holes. My printer doesnt seem to care, but I can see where some 3d printers wouldn't like it. Im assuming that was the issue in
trying to print the pins as well..

Art
mphil
Old Timer

Post by mphil »

Same here Art I only really needed the holes for the pins. I have hit and miss success with 3D printing my pinions due to the sizes, I've just ordered a 0.25 nozel to see how that goes.

Kirk are you using the stl. Generated by Gearotic? If I were honest at the moment I just use the dxf. files and import them in to Fusion that way I can add/alter/check whatever I want before converting to stl.

I'm wondering if the problem your having is something to do with how the pins float within the holes?

Mark
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I was using the stops files from gearotic.  Some of the pins went all the way through the holes and worked fine.  Some had the bottom of the pin at the same level as the top of the hole so they only joined at the top of the gear and broke off immediately.  I don't remember if it was at or one layer above the gear.  All tops of the pins were at the same height.

I think there's still an example in the box of work but I'm at work.

Kirk