Bench stand for clock makers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bench stand for clock makers

Post by BobL »

Kool idea, nice Job David, Thanks for sharing
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Teaser's, too!  Watchmaker's lathe tailstock and mini chop saw?

Kirk
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Mooselake wrote: Teaser's, too!  Watchmaker's lathe tailstock and mini chop saw?

Kirk
Close. It's a Sherline lathe.

The little chop saw is a huge improvement over the Dremel hand tool. I got a 1/16" abrasive cutoff blade for it which will outlast several tubes of the Dremel cutoff wheels. It's great for cutting brass and stainless steel for arbors and bushings.
Last edited by David Morrow on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

It's the brass pawls on the Sextus winder drum that I noticed.

Kit
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

kit wrote: It's the brass pawls on the Sextus winder drum that I noticed.

Kit
I was afraid that they would be too fragile if I made them out of wood so I used .250" brass and a .0625" router bit. I used the same brass for the ratchet wheel. It cut very nicely and gave a very good finish.
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

John T wrote: Wow! That's really a nice piece of work.  When I have a clock on my work stand I often want to mount the pendulum and so I need a meter clearance under the clock - does your stand allow for that?
Yes, generally. It really depends on how you build the mount and how far back from the edge of the bench that you mount it. It will also depend on where on the clock the pendulum mounts. The center of my swivel base is mounted is about 12" back from the front edge of my bench. With the clock placed vertically out past the edge of the bench, I have 64" from the top of the pendulum to the floor. However, the pendulum mounts right at the top of the frame on this clock. The bottom of the clock frame in the picture is 45" above the floor.

If in doubt, just make the extension arm a bit longer and / or mount the swivel base closer to the front edge of the bench so the extension arm is more towards vertical than horizontal.

Here is a pic with an old unused pendulum from an old project. It's just a bit over 39" - about 1 meter. I just hung it on a convenient spot for illustration purposes. Hopefully you can eyeball things to see if it fits your needs.

Last edited by David Morrow on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Just couldn't leave well enough alone. I added a new mounting plate option. Fewer parts, a bit simpler, and adds another degree of motion. The ZIP file is now Version 3 above.

jredburn
Old Timer

Post by jredburn »

David,
I would like a copy of the DWG files but I cannot find the download in my version of the forum.
My computer is like me, old and grumpy.
I would appreciate a link to the zip files.

Regards
Joe
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

jredburn wrote: David,
I would like a copy of the DWG files but I cannot find the download in my version of the forum.
My computer is like me, old and grumpy.
I would appreciate a link to the zip files.

Regards
Joe
Joe, if you go to the bottom of my first post, you will see a paper clip and a file name. That's the zip file. If you're still stumped, just email me at :
cnc AT ldrider.ca and I'll email it to you directly.
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Since my last post a few month ago, a couple of things have happened. First, I've had a few direct emails from people wanting the dxf's that were getting 404 errors from the forum when they tried to download them. I was quite happy to send them and have a few short discussions on the project. Second, I've done a fairly major redesign to simply the project. And I created a short Google doc's page showing the pic's and construction details. Email me directly if you'd like the dxf's. I keep messing about with them so you will always get the most recent versions this way. And finally, please be sure to tell me how your build goes and what, if any, suggestions that you might have to make it better. It's been a fun project.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F-HAzAgnLTVrnkFneN44cdpqDRKENRrmS7XUokkemjY/edit
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Nice work David.
It could be used for many different things besides clocks as well.

Mike
Mand
Old Timer

Post by Mand »

I'd like to suggest you consider writing an article on this for, well, I don't know who exactly -- maybe Fine Woodworking? Seems like there'd be a reasonably wide audience for this thing?

(I've just started my build, using a laser for the cutting so I'm building it up out of thinner sheets of BB ply, which is working pretty well so far. I guess we'll see when I get to the larger arm piece...)
Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

Good Morning David

Just came across your post and your clock stand is just what I need.
I too am getting a 404 error message on your download zip file and am not having any luck on reaching you via your email address(keeps telling me to correct the email  address ?)
if you would'nt mind sending me a copy of your DXF files I would really appreciate it.
jerrywi@charter.net

Thanking you in advance
Jerry
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Jerrywi wrote: Good Morning David

Just came across your post and your clock stand is just what I need.
I too am getting a 404 error message on your download zip file and am not having any luck on reaching you via your email address(keeps telling me to correct the email  address ?)
if you would'nt mind sending me a copy of your DXF files I would really appreciate it.
jerrywi@charter.net

Thanking you in advance
Jerry
Files emailed.

Please send me pic's of your finished stand and any modifications or suggestions that may benefit future builders.

David

Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

Thank You David, Ill be sure to send pictures of the completed project.
Thanks again
Jerry