XL pulley 4 axis cutting

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Campgems
Old Timer

Re: XL pulley 4 axis cutting

Post by Campgems »

Art, I haven't jumped into the 3D printing pool yet.  Really don't have room in the shop, AKA garage, for one thing. It is almost an aerobic exercise getting from the door around to my machines and benches.  My 9 year old grand son was out there with me about a month ago and was impressed by the machines.  He pointed out my old 10x36 Jet lathe, "What's that grandpa"  I told him it was a lathe, you put some metal in the chuck and cut away what you don't want.  His response, "OH, like a 3D printer, but it takes things away, instead of putting them on.  Neat." I may have someone to inherit my shop.

A lot of my shop time is making parts to upgrade my existing machines.  I have a Taig CNC mill than started as an early Taig manual. A second Taig ball screw CNC mill, my old Jet lathe, a 14" Asian band saw, two Taig lathes, a Jewelers Lathe, and two gemstone faceting machines. Grinders sanders etc.  The XL pulley project is the result of my Ball screw Taig lathe, I wanted a more positive and higher speed spindle than the little 3C belting could provide. One thing leads to another and down the rabbit hole I go.  I have fun though and now that's the important thing.  Sure wish I had some one to clean the shop after a day of making chips though.

Don
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Don:

:). I know something of rabbits and their holes as well.  I tend
to think the secret of eternal youth is contained deep within those burrrows.
( I havent come across it as yet. :) )

Art
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

Art, I think it is the search, rather than the destination.  The longer we search, the younger we stay ;)  

Just wish I could remember the dead end holes I already searched.  :-\

Don
Last edited by Campgems on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.