Gear epicycloidal + lantern

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Salvador Ruano
Old Timer

Gear epicycloidal + lantern

Post by Salvador Ruano »

In Gearotic I cant made to match a spur gear epicycloidal with a lantern cage,
is not the same as the lantern and pinion matching.
http://grabilla.com/08301-8e50e73b-b77d ... f3937.html
http://grabilla.com/08301-b0737d20-23a9 ... fdffe.html
Really for years as a solution is really using external programs, but I would like to be able to make them in a simple way in Gearotic.
Last edited by Salvador Ruano on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear epicycloidal + lantern

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Im assuming you want as the attached photo shows?

To mate a cage with a epicycloidic pinion, you can first make a cage gear. Take note
of the MOD number used. ( or DP if your imperial).
  Now make the normal hypocyclooid mate for it and place it on the screen meshed to the cage.

Now you can replace the hypocycloidic with a epicycloid by going to the circular gears tab,
now select epicycloidal as type. Select the same MOD ( or DP), and the same tooth count as the
mate to your cage. Add this to the project but put it on the shaft of the hypocycloidic.

They now sit in a proper spot to mesh, but dont because they arent linked. Delete the
hypocycloid gear leaving you with non meshed but proper centered two gears. Now use the
add link while selecting the cage gear and the epi shoudl show up to link to. Link them
and they will mesh and simulate as the enclosed photo. Takes a few minutes but its the only
way I know to get them work the way you describe.

Art
Attachments
pinioncage.jpg
Salvador Ruano
Old Timer

Post by Salvador Ruano »

Hello again, Art,
I've done what you told me and in Gearotic1 it works but out of sync, and in Gearotic2 it doesn't allow me to do it because it says:"Different Basic types".
Anyway, I don't like to do this workaround at all because of the doubts I have about the diameter of the pins, which can be thinner or thicker and also the teeth of the epicicloid wheel could be wider or narrower depending on the configuration (although it's not possible in Gearotic).
The truth is that I've been frustrated for years with this idea that I thought it would be solved in new versions.
In reality for these cases I've always had to use Graham Baxter's "Involute", which also doesn't provide information for cages lantern pinions, so apart from the fact that if I can know the pitch diameter, I'm left with doubts as to whether the pin diameters are correct for that epicicliodal wheel configuration.

In short, what I would like is that apart from not using a workaround to solve the problem, it would be possible to configure the pin diameter and tooth width of the epicyclic wheel, for the same module, in a simple way in the Gearotic program.

Best Regards,
Salvador Ruano
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Salvador:

The sample picture was from Gearotic2 , Im not sure why your getting the error and I didnt
but its possible that while you cant just place a round gear on a cage, you can place one
on the same shaft and delete the original, they should link. I do understand thats rougher
to do , and the diamter of the pins is an issue as to correct size, though usually so long
as their loose they should work fine. Epicycloidics are generally meant to run pretty loose.

I will take a look though to see if I can simply allow you to just grab an EPI and mesh it directly, I suspect I just need to turn off a safety. Ill see if I can allow some way to judge
the pins if you want exact match, though I think the max tool diam. stat shown on the epi
generation will be the right pin size for that gear.

Art