Gear tooth as a height map?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Mand
Old Timer

Re: Gear tooth as a height map?

Post by Mand »

Amusingly enough, I'd *just* seen that video!  The technique would definitely work I think (and I've even got an indexer), but alas my laser doesn't have the headroom to fit everything.

...although, now that you mention it, I do wonder if perhaps I couldn't cut the crown teeth as a rack, using the variable-power engraving to add a bevel cut to each tooth (so that they come out separate, and can be reassembled into a circle). With some kind of centering-ring jig, and enough glue, it might actually work. Although, at that point, I should probably just knuckle down and clear out the garage so that I can access my mill and lathe, and start working again with the proper tools ;)
Nate
Old Timer

Re: Gear tooth as a height map?

Post by Nate »

Mand wrote: It's occurred to me I've been accidentally cryptic in all of this -- what I'm trying (again, foolishly) to do is develop a way to create a crown gear or rack gear using an engraving laser.
The original post had me wondering whether you wanted a "polar" height map or "rectilinear" height map.  This makes a lot more sense.