Irregular Gears for Keplerian Motion

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
kit
Old Timer

Re: Irregular Gears for Keplerian Motion

Post by kit »

Confused,

Basically you need to buy a copy of Gearotic and be amazed at how much you get for so little. If it doesn't do exactly what you want Art might just modify it until it does. All at no extra cost.

Kit

PS  Merry Christmas Art. I hope I haven't just dropped you in it  ;D
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kitt:

Mery XMas back at you. I live my life deep in it, so dropping me there isnt an issue. :)

Only a few days to Christmas, where does the time go? Im almost finished a rewrite of Vexx's database
because it was driving me crazy on large files, and the new Guiloche wizard is about ready for release.
Heres a couple of laser burns I did a few days ago in testing..

Art
Attachments
guiloche3.jpg
20181209_160415.jpg
Last edited by ArtF on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

You never cease to amaze me! I can see I need to upgrade my software and have a more serious play with Vexx.

Building a CNC router that actually works as well as I want it to and various other projects (plus having to earn a living) have kept me busy over much of 2018 but 2019 might actually see me complete a clock! I've spent plenty of time with Gearotic and CamBam, just need to get the machine finished to cut out the parts.

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kit:

In truth I didnt know what a guilloche was until a Gearotic user requested I take a look
at it. I knew the word but hadnt really consider their history. Im in his debt, they are
very interesting as a subject.
  This is my 12th year of a retirement where I promised myself Id learn something new
every day.( Did you know a spring gets physically heavier when stretched? I didnt.)

Glad to hear your cnc is coming along. Its always fun getting that first cut! Try a ticker
first, youd be surprised just how much a clock will stretch your own springs.. (I wonder
if that makes one heavier as well? ..nah..)

Art

Art

Nate
Old Timer

Post by Nate »

Confused wrote:...
I've also considered some other ideas, like having a set of circular gears driven by the same input, connected to the output by a pre-tensioned drive shaft that would be able to cope with the varying position of the output gear but would keep enough tension to have it chase the input gear when it's at risk of coming unmeshed; the big problem with that is that it's pre-tensioned, so will only drive the gear in one direction, and will tend to pull the gears free if it's run back.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  Problems with the solutions suggested?  Obvious solutions I've missed?  Other things that would make this kind of gear untenable?
You could look into a toothed belt-and-pulley system instead of gears.

Using helical or herring-bone gears may help with meshing issues and is pretty easy to do when you're 3D printing the gears.  You can also do more sophisticated things to mess with the tooth form, though I'm not sure how much that can help in practice.

It seems like making a linkage that handles the orbits crossing each other is going to be a challenge.

Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote: Did you know a spring gets physically heavier when stretched?

youd be surprised just how much a clock will stretch your own springs.. (I wonder
if that makes one heavier as well? ..nah.)
That's my new thing for the day :)

If I understand right any increase in potential energy will cause an increase in mass so a clock will get heavier when wound.  It might only be a gazillionth of a gram, but it will be heavier.

Thought I'd have a CNC router down here by now, but never underestimate how much work lurks in a new (to us) house and just how much time can disappear.  At least there's no snow in the forecast, unlike Mooselake North where it's 6 to 8 inches for tonight

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Exactly right. Kinetic energy is included when they calculate the energy of
a body and mass is proportional to that. As you said, probably a gazzillionth
of a gram.  The kinetic energy added divided by Speed of light squared
is the increased mass. Extra weight would depend on where you are..

>>Thought I'd have a CNC router down here by now, but never
underestimate how much work lurks in a new (to us) house

Having renovated three over years I feel your pain. Never again. :)

Art