Getting planetary wheel to mesh with mating lantern wheel

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
kb58
Old Timer

Getting planetary wheel to mesh with mating lantern wheel

Post by kb58 »

First post, so be gentle.

On the tools page, I successfully created a lantern and matching planetary ring wheel. Once complete, the lantern wheel was moved to its final position in the overall assembly, but when then tried to bring in the planetary, I can't get it to attach other than on it's imaginary axle line, which of course isn't what needs to happen. What am I missing such that I can get the planetary ring teeth to mesh with its already matching lantern spoke?

Thanks.

[edit] Well nuts, it just worked, but I don't know what I did. I admit to flailing around a bit, so please reply anyway so I can do it the right way more quickly next time!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kb58
Old Timer

Re: Getting planetary wheel to mesh with mating lantern wheel

Post by kb58 »

With the above solved, the next sticking point is that I placed a second lantern wheel opposite the first, and it's turning the wrong direction. I'm guessing that it's somehow linked to the first lantern, though I can't see how.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

kb58;

Depending on how you create your gear assembly inside Gearotic, it is possible that gears may want to rotate in a specific direction as they are added to the project. If a gear in simulation turns the wrong way, simply select it from the Project tree, then right click,  then select reverse direction, should do the trick. Hope this helps, ask away if it doesn't.

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
kb58
Old Timer

Post by kb58 »

I sent Mr. Landry a screen shot showing that for a cage wheel, the reverse direction choice is missing from the right-click pull-down on the project sidebar. The same issue exists for simple spur gears as well. For now I'm just ignoring it.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Hi Guys;

Error on my part, the feature with the right click from the project tree is to reverse the orientation of a gear, not to spin it the opposite way, why you only see it on bevel gears. I can't find any notes or additional info for gear direction, so I'll have to ask Art?

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

All gears should rotate in a direction based on the gear they mesh with, they should
turn opposite to that gear as all meshed gears. Can you post a project showing it going backwards
so I can take a look at it. Just zip the project file and Ill see whats happening on the reversal.

Any gear should only turn in the wrong direction if meshed to a shaft instead of a gear...

Thx
Art
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Thanks Art..

Gearotic Motion
Bob