New here, looking forward to it!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Holdu
Old Timer

New here, looking forward to it!

Post by Holdu »

Hi everyone! Waiting on my license (I understand Art is on vacation in Alaska, so no rush). I'm looking forward to learning, designing and tinkering. This type of thing has always bounced around in my head (simple machines and woodworking) since I was a kid, but I'm just now getting around to tool acquisition and learning about the mechanics.

I always wanted Norm Abrams' stuff, but alas right now I don't even have a garage. So, I've got  laser cutter and 3D printer on the way. I'd like to add a CNC (possibly start with a Shapeoko and then save/build up towards an Axiom), and two "project types" that GREATLY interest me are gear-related: clocks and kinetic art.

So, with the Vexx addition, I'm hoping to put a lot of this stuff to use soon with the laser cutter. I'll share what I make as it comes along, though undoubtedly it'll probably strongly resemble things everyone here has seen.

A bit about me: 48, married for (checks calendar) almost 13 years. Got an 11 year old daughter. I work in finance within the oil & gas industry, but also used to dabble in computer programming, so I'm agape at what's been put together! Oh, and I'm female. Haven't noticed a whole lot of us in this neck of the woods. :)

Anyhow, I'll be reading a lot and probably asking questions as I have time to work with the software. Thanks in advance!
steve323
Old Timer

Re: New here, looking forward to it!

Post by steve323 »

Welcome to the club.

I started with woodworking, then CNC, followed by a 3D printer. My passion is clocks.

3D printers appear to be a game changer with their capabilities at such a low price. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3524448 is my design that started from Gearotic. There are many other great designs on Thingiverse and at http://www.3dprinterclocks.com/

Steve
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Welcome!

What kind of 3D printer and laser?  I've had a couple of 3D printers for years, and a K40 40W IR laser, both have made Gearotic gears and gadgets.  Others here have lots of better gear and experience.  I'd venture to say that Gearotic is the best software purchase I've ever made, and new goodies keep appearing from time to time.

Laser and 3D printer at the same time!  Welcome to the learning curve!  Getting started might be frustrating but in the end it's worth it.  I'd suggest concentrating on just one at a time, fwiw.

We're in our other house and have a 3018 mini CNC router down here.  Small and underpowered, but cheap.  Like $200USD cheap.  30x18 (well, 17) cm cutting area, have already cut a lidded box out of pine 1x4 and abused some aluminum sheet experimenting with Vexx's guilloche wizard.  It's a good starter or secondary dwelling machine (not enough shop room for something bigger atm), and can teach you a lot.  I'd recommend getting the laser and 3D printer under control first, then looking at CNC machines.  There's enough commonality to help move from one to another, but enough differences so there's lots of learning between them.

11 year old girl!  While every kid is different I think that's a great age based on our 3 now adult girls.  Our up north high school teaches a 3D printing class to around 8th graders, several of my neighbors kids have been through it.  Your daughter might like a chance to use the laser and 3D printer, just remember to watch out for basic safety issues until she learns how to use them.  Lasers can bite (the joke about protecting your remaining eye isn't completely a joke) and 3D printers cause burns, and both have the potential to start on fire.  Not a reason to avoid them, just one to teach and learn basic safety.  Oh, and keep a fire extinguisher near both and never leave them unattended for more than a few minutes.

Kirk
Holdu
Old Timer

Post by Holdu »

Mooselake wrote: What kind of 3D printer and laser?
Both arrived yesterday. I got a Glowforge and an Ender 3. Run the test cut on the Glowforge, and it came out fine. Haven't put the Ender 3 together yet - that is tonight's project.
I'd recommend getting the laser and 3D printer under control first, then looking at CNC machines.  There's enough commonality to help move from one to another, but enough differences so there's lots of learning between them.
Oh for sure. Taking on too much at once means unfocused and inefficient learning - something I'm hoping to avoid. Incidentally, I got a notification about a Kickstarter for a mid-range (I think?) Millright CNC series that looks interesting. Signed up for updates, so we'll see where that leads to. First things first: learn to use the tools I have now!
11 year old girl!  While every kid is different I think that's a great age based on our 3 now adult girls. 
So far she's remained skeptical, haha. Hopefully that will change once she sees what can be done with them :)
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Holdu wrote: Kickstarter for a mid-range (I think?) Millright CNC series that looks interesting.
I'm burned out on Kickstarters these days, too many people don't understand it's venture capital funding with all the risk and less upside. and too many fail.  I saw the Millright, and wonder why an established company can't get money from their bank.  That's lower cost than KS's fees but banks want decent proof they'll get their money and interest back.  I should mention every KS I've participated (couple 3D printers, other smaller stuff) in has succeeded, but I've seen a lot of both scams,and creators who just didn't have the business sense to succeed.

Although you should be suspicious about the opinions of somebody who thinks they're a moose...

Have fun!  You may be surprised at just how long it will take to master a laser cutter or a 3D printer, two at once could be a challenge.  An Ender 3's on my short list for this seasonal (well, planned to be until some knee problems made it better to stay here for the summer) house, the Printrbot+ and Thingybot Delta got left up north with all the other toys.  Mrs. Moose has said no new toys until the current ones get some serious use.

Kirk
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Holdu;

Hi Holly. You're right about Art currently being on vacation, however I also read that you are waiting for your license? My name is Bob, I'm the one who usually generates  all licenses at Gearotic, kind of Art's partner in crime type of deal here. Anyhow I'm writing back since I already compiled and sent you your license, actually back on Aug 16, 2019. May I ask that you check your inbox, spam or deleted folders that your mail server provides, it may have moved my email into any one of those categories? For your info, this at times happens since letters "otic" exist in name "Gearotic CAD", and some email servers trigger this as spam. Anyhow If you fail to see it, please contact me offline at  support@gearotic.com and I'll resend for you.

Cheers
Bob :)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

So they have a problem with ears?  That'll amuse Mrs. Moose, an audiologist.  From the online Merriam Webster dictionary:

What does otic mean in medical terms?
Medical Definition of otic
: of, relating to, or located in the region of the ear : auditory, auricular.

Kirk
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Kirk;

Not sure exactly, but far from amusing at times. lol  Both Art and I should have thought this through a little farther prior to going with name Gearotic. Anyhow, it is what it is, hope we can work around the issue.

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Holdu
Old Timer

Post by Holdu »

BobL wrote: Holdu;

Hi Holly. You're right about Art currently being on vacation, however I also read that you are waiting for your license? My name is Bob, I'm the one who usually generates  all licenses at Gearotic, kind of Art's partner in crime type of deal here. Anyhow I'm writing back since I already compiled and sent you your license, actually back on Aug 16, 2019. May I ask that you check your inbox, spam or deleted folders that your mail server provides, it may have moved my email into any one of those categories? For your info, this at times happens since letters "otic" exist in name "Gearotic CAD", and some email servers trigger this as spam. Anyhow If you fail to see it, please contact me offline at  support@gearotic.com and I'll resend for you.

Cheers
Bob :)
Bob,
Oh thanks! I found it in my spam folder :)
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Great, glad you found it. Have fun, let us know if you run into any issues.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Im back from my travels having missed being eaten by a bear of drowned
by a whale. Welcome Holdu. As the thread shows there some great people
here to help out. Yell when confused or when it appears by brain stuttered
while programming and were usually pretty quick to respond.
  Pity on all the new tools, your well on your way to an addiction we're
all guilty of.  :)

Art