Exact Location of Objects on 3 Axis Workbench

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
dchib
Old Timer

Exact Location of Objects on 3 Axis Workbench

Post by dchib »

I wish to superimpose a large spur gear over a (slightly) smaller planetary gear so I can create a ring with teeth inside and out.

Consequently, on the 3 Axis Work bench I need these two gears to be precisely concentric before generating the G-code using AutoCut. (I'll later edit out the bits of G-Code I don't want, for example the planetary external ring).

Is there any way to specify the centre point of a gear on the Workbench?  I can move them with the mouse but can't get their centres exactly on say 0,0 even when I zoom in very close.

I appreciate this is a rather special requirement as exact placement of object within the stock piece is probably not often necessary but if it were possible it would be useful for me.

Thanks, really enjoying being creative with gears.

David
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Exact Location of Objects on 3 Axis Workbench

Post by ArtF »

Hi David:

One solution, depending on complexity , is to export the gears into Vexx. Once imported there
its easy to select small areas and edit them , subtract areas or do intersection work. Vexx doesnt
have much for Gcode output though, its primarily for simply contour cutting, but it does allow
GCode output of the objects once you group them. While you dont have tool selection code
output and such, the simple contour output is flexible enough for most 2d gear cutting needs.

Vexx would also allow you to center and move more precisely. There is an import menu item
in Vexx to directly import the gear outlines from the current project and they can be saved as
dxf's from there for other cnc generators if Vexx's Gcode output is too simple.

Art

Art