STL conversion to solid

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
XLmoby
Old Timer

STL conversion to solid

Post by XLmoby »

hello
i am from germany and new here on the board.

help needed.

Is there a way to convert the gearotic STL to some solid model?
did design bevel gears and want them to use in Alibre CAD.

Thanks for helping

Johannes
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: STL conversion to solid

Post by BobL »

Johannes;

Not sure If I understand your question properly, but Gearotic CAD can export 2D profiles known as DXF files, or 3D objects, known as STL or Obj files. To visually see the gear as a solid or mesh, is selectable via the Project tab, under Project Tree, select your gear, right click and select mesh or solid. This only occurs however once the gear is generated from inside Gearotic into the Project Tree, and remember that the solid or mesh gear you display comes from the same STL file. Saving your gear as an STL should be enough to import in most 3D CAD software depending on size. You can verify by using any STL viewer programs to verify the STL once its created, should tell you if gear is valid or a problem exists?

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Just to add to that, an STL is a stereo lithography model, a 3d object accepted by most 3d printers and cad programs.
An STL , though a solid mode, is actually a list of triangles, in no particular order, that comprise that object. While its
quite useful as a 3d model , its difficult to use in a cad program as a math model or constructive model of a surface,
Gearotic, Vexx and Ticker all put out STL 3d models in binary or text , binary being smaller files but no other
real difference.

I suspect what you may want is a constructive model of a bevel to use in cad, which can be difficult depending
on what tools the particular cad program has to import STL's and what it can do with them. This varies
widely from one CAD program to another. Some can create geometry form stl's , some cannot. Some
programs will use stl's for toolpath generation, others will not. Best to see if Allibre has conversion
facilities for stl's to see if you can use them to create the model you need.

Art
XLmoby
Old Timer

Post by XLmoby »

ok, srewed to STL cause my alibra cad program can export stl, but not import. just need half of a bevel wheel ( 180° of the outa rim ).

looks like i have to print the parts seperate and glue them to together. lol, wanted to print them as one solid part. but that will not hapen i guess.

But before i print, need more practise in gearotic.

sorry for my bad english writing. it is more then 30 jears ago when i learnd the language in shool.

Thanks for helping.

johannes
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Johannes:

You may want to try blender, you could export a mesh of the tooth face from the stl for use in cad programs..

Art