Gear Trains as per link

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Stojan
Old Timer

Gear Trains as per link

Post by Stojan »

Hey G'day,

I rear my ugly head every so often..

My query is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBhN5yTKDU at about 1:30sec the video gets into the meat of my question. Can you build a gear train using gearotic as per video? Just so you all know Orrery builders are an endangered species, only two left in the UK.. and who knows if the rest of the world even knows what an orrery is or tellurium.

I don't know of any makers here in Australia either, I have seen a few people make kits that are sold on etsy but these are generally copies of copies with slight variations of one another.

Staines & Son I think are the only people that make them today and sell across the pond to the rest of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgyXY3vPd4 is one of the nicest models/concepts I have seen to date, there's just something absolutely beautiful about watching gears turn, not really going anywhere. Like a dog chasing its tail round and round they go yet I could sit and watch all day some of the machinations I find on you tube. Gears need not just be functional they can be exotically artistic as well.

There a lot and not a lot of information on the web regarding the math for what type of gear size you need to simulate a solar year for Earth, Mars etc etc etc that's not the issue. Building the orrery is not an issue, buying/making/printing of gears not really an issue. The math and formulas for gear ratio's is pretty well established.

BUT but but but, simulating the movement is an issue.

You can simulate gear trains for clocks, an orrery is sort of a clock with a few extra here and there's and maybe an unusual link to an other gear here and there as well. Hence my question.

If we can save the blue speckled galah from the wind turbines lets have a crack at saving orrery makers. :)

Please excuse the tongue and cheek.

Regards from the colonies downunder,
Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear Trains as per link

Post by ArtF »

Hi Steve:

The Orrery is the root of my trouble. Gearotic can and always could do the math and create the ratio's, it even has some planets listed so you can simply pick the period you need, BUT an orrery requires a simulation in which the gears not only rotate, but move as well in relation to other gears
they mesh with. This requires a simulation ability far advanced from Gearotic's. Thus "Ticker" was born. It is my hope to allow such things as orreries
in Ticker as gears will no longer be locked to a set position or orientation, The Orrery itself isn't too bad as its deterministic, one knows the result of a particular rotation, but to do that I figured a simulator may as well go full physical to allow for most kinetics to be observed with gravity and such considered making it non deterministic and collisions and friction can be better accounted for.
Its still too early to say how successful I will be, its a daunting project for a single developer, though I currently have some pretty weird geared sculptures roaming my development screens that I'm quite happy with. A few more math hurdles and I think Ill be able to update Ticker so the
geared sections of an ORRERY can be made, then I need to add pulleys and belts which will get us that much closer.

Art
Stojan
Old Timer

Post by Stojan »

Art G'day,

Oh my good lord!!!! This is indeed marvellous news!!
I can hardly wait to see what Ticker is going to end up like.
I have built a few over the years in various 3d applications that support real world physics and kinetics when I was working. Since retirement I've not had access to that type of software which is generally out of the reach of private pockets. With the exception of Blender, unfortunately I just can't get my head around blender. The unfortunate thing about 3d applications is many features are buried in various menu's and they are not dedicated to any particular task. So of course the learning curve can be years.

As for you being a solo developer well you're probably more efficient than a full team and then some. I had a young Romanian coder that worked for a company I was involved with, he did more work than some of the teams I had in other companies. He had a mind for it, was dedicated to his job, he thought outside of the box and if he didn't know how to do something his attitude was " I just haven't fallen over the answer yet " or surely someone else has had this problem and he knew how to research.

The work you do is extraordinary and thankfully you are doing it yourself there fore not requiring permission from anyone else to do so. Which is probably a coders biggest nightmare.

Well if Ticker goes the way you are describing I can see complex marble run machines popping up as well, operating various lifters.
I would guess then that you would be able to simulate the running gear of a CNC/laser as well.

Looking forward to your next releases.

Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Steve:

Lets keep our fingers crossed. :)

Art