duplex gear

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
alex bonar
Old Timer

duplex gear

Post by alex bonar »

good day ??? just started with this group and this program am on steep learning curve has any body any experience with linkhttp://www.allytech.eu/index_fichiers/DualLead ... acklah.htm this type of gear or can i be pointed to program that may help i would prefer to have this type of gear within rotary table if possible
alex
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: duplex gear

Post by ArtF »

Hi Alex:

Worm's are one of the few gear types we havent yet tackled. Primarily this is beacuse they are very hard to cut
without involute profile cutters on a rotary table or maybe on a lathe. Making them as solids in the program I dont
think would be difficult at all, but dealing with them as output may be tough in making something usefull to enough users
to make it feasable to do. So they are on my list, but I dont see them coming soon..

Art
JustinO
Old Timer

Post by JustinO »

Alex,
As if worms and wheels were not already complex enough!

That's an intriguing idea. What advantages does it have over changing the center to center distance?

There are endless permutations of worms and wheels. Look up "globoidal worm gearing".

If I were making a telescope drive worm and wheel, which is the kind of thing I might actually do, and I wanted to use this dual pitch worm idea, I'd probably just cut the worm on the lathe with flat, rack like "teeth", twice, once for each pitch. I use a stepper spindle for threading, so threading an odd pitch thread is no problem.

Are you looking to modeling, Gcoding, or making this?

--Justin
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Could these be programed to cut on a 4th axis, linear travel cut using a ball nosed tapered end mill?(Gearotic)

Or if you could provide a solid stl, could then use a CAM program with rotary axis Post.

Would be an interesting project to watch cut.

with cutter offset should be able to create the tooth profile for the zero backlash.
alex bonar
Old Timer

Post by alex bonar »

thanks for replies looks like it will have to on lathe, uncertain if this design will give me any advantage  to eliminate backlash but for model aircraft engines i intend to build am working to critical dimensions.
probably best to try on timber.

alex