Kinetic Art Flywheel Design using GM

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
danmauch
Old Timer

Kinetic Art Flywheel Design using GM

Post by danmauch »

Somebody on this group had a link to David Roy's Kinetic art web site. I got hooked-darn it! While trying to figure out how David's art called Frolic worked I came across another web site by a guy named Ed Legler. I saw his art called Concentricity and decided that I would build that first since it has a detailed explanation of how it worked. I made a protype using MDF and because of its size was too large to cut out the inner and outer flywheels on my laser cutter. I did laser cut the two large and one small gear using GM. Now I am ready to build a copy using good wood. I was all set to design the 23" Diamter inner and out flywheels when it came to me that I could size create a 23" gear with spokes and a hub easier using GM. It workded. I simpled deleted the gear teeth and snapped a 23" OD circle in its place.
It was so fast it was scary. Thanks Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kinetic Art Flywheel Design using GM

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

I made one as well from David Roys collection. It was the Monarch one.
Bitch to figure out how it worked, but mine works pretty well. I must do a video
to show it one day. Monarch uses rotation as well as newtons third law to do
its job. I suppose everything uses newtons 3rd law really, but Monarch does it
in a very cool way.  David is a physics expert and his kinetics are facinating uses
of gears. Hats off to him for his excellent sculptures...
  My 3d printer is on its way at the end of month, and Im working on modules to
help with 3d printing. Soon, Gearotics STL's will be full resolution,closed manifolds
and have facilities to make printed objects that have motion after printing as long as
the printer can support the resolutions required. ( I dont have a clue if mine can or not. :) )

So while I havent been releasing much for GM, GT will be an excellent program for those
with a 3d printer I think..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote:Soon, Gearotics STL's will be full resolution,closed manifolds
and have facilities to make printed objects that have motion after printing as long as
the printer can support the resolutions required
You need a smiley for drooling on the floor in anticipation.  Welcome to 3D printer land!  Fix a couple things for your wife and she'll become a big supporter.  Mine did.

David Roy's designs are addicting, aren't they?

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>>David Roy's designs are addicting, aren't they?

Dreadfully...

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

I just finished up Ed Leglers Concentricity. I have emailed Ed and he pointed out a few things that weren't very intuitive about the design. Last week I finished up building the version that will have on my living room above the fireplace. Yes, my wife even like it.  It's about 23" diameter.
I used GM to create the two bull gears and the pinion which were cut out on my laser out of 1/4" birch. The inner and outer flywheels were initially gears that I used the spokes from GM and then deleted the teeth in my Cad program. I cut those out of 1/2" birch with my CNC router. Last, the wall mount behind the inner and outer flywheels is just a reverse copy of the out flywheel.
Here is a video of it running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97S55QjP ... e=youtu.be It works pretty good but every now and then the inner flywheel takes off running at high speed unwinding the spring. I had sent a link to Ed to ask his advice but I think I have figured it out and it now seems to run right. You may want to turn your sound off  if you view the video. It was meant for Ed. My grandson and my wife were talking in the background.
Since business sucks right now I may go ahead and trry Monarch also but first I may take the outer fly wheel off and make a new one that has part of David Roy's Frolic included.
Dan Mauch

Dan
ArtF wrote: Dan:

I made one as well from David Roys collection. It was the Monarch one.
Bitch to figure out how it worked, but mine works pretty well. I must do a video
to show it one day. Monarch uses rotation as well as newtons third law to do
its job. I suppose everything uses newtons 3rd law really, but Monarch does it
in a very cool way.  David is a physics expert and his kinetics are facinating uses
of gears. Hats off to him for his excellent sculptures...
   My 3d printer is on its way at the end of month, and Im working on modules to
help with 3d printing. Soon, Gearotics STL's will be full resolution,closed manifolds
the printer can support the resolutions required. ( I dont have a clue if mine can or not. :) )

So while I havent been releasing much for GM, GT will be an excellent program for those
with a 3d printer I think..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

looks to me to be exactly as a monarch works.. Pretty much.. Are their magnets on the pawl, or do you have some sort of directional trigger that trips the spring release? You do get a great amount of motion
on release..thats impressive..

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

Actually I found out after further observations that the inner and outer flywheels have too much mass. I need to make  thinner rims on rev A.
No there are no magnets. The way the pawls work is really simple. The inner and outer flywheels have weights attached so that when they are both in the bottom position rocking after the inner and out wheels slow down the outer flywheel pin catches the outer pawl this then releases inner pawl which is latched against a pin on the inner wheel. The slight bumping of this pin causes a slight backward movement of the center gear thus allowing the inner pawl to drop out by gravity. When that happened the springs unwinds a bit until the inner pawl catches the locking pin again stopping the unwinding but imparting the toqture to the wheels. Uses all three of Newtons laws and gravity.
Dan Mauch
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

Clever. I cheated and used magnets myself, the pawl engages only in one direction as a result, so when one wheel is rocking left, and the other rocks right, the
pawl engages and the same release type thing happens.. Similar system. Cool devices though. Mine has too little mass, rather than too much but is about 32" in size.

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

Well I really went off the deep end. I went to a web site that had line art pictures of various items. I thought a stallion would look great in place of spokes. I saved the image to the pc and then using a great raster to vector program called Vextractor converted the file to a vector. Then in Bobcad I scaled the image to fit onto one of the gears I designed in GM and then laser cut it.
Attachments
stalliongerar.JPG
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

Looks pretty good. :)

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

Here is an updated version of the kinetic art I call Horsing Around.  The gears were designed using GM. The artwork of the stallions was d/led and scaled and converted to vectors and then loaded into Bobcad. The gears were laser cut and the flywheels were cnc routed. One thing OI need to change is the direction the horses are facing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpZjSS- ... e=youtu.be

Dan Mauch
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

Congrats, it looks great.

Art