1st use questions about settings and outputs - XL timing pulley

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1st use questions about settings and outputs - XL timing pulley

Post by BobL »

Ron;

Thanks for sharing, I agree on building your own toolbit feedrate tables to prolong life while trying to optimize that sweet zone area. In my case anyway, being a hobbyist, often no two cuts are identical nor do I use the same media consistently, so roughing it is often the way of life.  I use this table to get in close proximity, then I use that albeit empirical approach with respect to the bit size and depth to look at the chips I generate in determining my optimum speed. On most media types I can cut on my table, being wood, plastic and soft metals, often I'll sit between the 25 to 60 inch/minute range statistically. Anyway a good rule of thumb to follow, fine powder, melting or blackening of the bit usually indicates your speed is too slow, warm even size chips is perfect, and broken bits usually means your going too fast. lol

Cheers
Bob
;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
thinkntink
Old Timer

Re: 1st use questions about settings and outputs - XL timing pulley

Post by thinkntink »

Hi Bob,

It sounds like we are following very similar regimens when it comes to cutting would. One of the benefits of adopting a more systematic approach in the beginning is that, with practice, it can help you develop the intuition to "know" (by sound, sight and and smell) when a cutting tool is happy.
Ron
Precisebits.com

What we need is not a change in leadership, it is a change in hearts