Gear shaft size question

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Russ L
Old Timer

Gear shaft size question

Post by Russ L »

I am placing a pinion that requires a different hole diameter than the shaft it is attached to. When I generate the pinion I specify the shaft size I would like, but the shaft size generated is the same as the shaft it is attached to. I know that, based on your video on escapements, you can specify that a gear that lines up with another shaft can be generated with its own shaft; however, my gear is not driven by another gear and must be attached to this paricular shaft during generation.

I know this sounds confusing, but the reason is the gear is mounted on tubing and attached to the shaft via a coupler with a light friction fit using a set screw and soft plug. The gear turns with the shaft, but can be made to slip under light pressure so the clock hands can be set by turning an intermediate wheel.

Are there any tricks I am not aware of? Since the diameter is larger I can bore it after it is cut on my machine. It would just be easier if it was possible to specify the exact shaft hole size that is required.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear shaft size question

Post by ArtF »

Russ:

That seems a bug, usually the gear doesnt care what a previous shafts dia is, it will be whatever you set it for.
Ill check it out and see why that may be so..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Russ:

Make sure you press regen after changing the shaft dia setting. IT seems to work here fine, if I place a 5mm shaft gear on the screen, then place a 100m shaft hole gear on that shaft, I see the shaft hole is now larger than the shaft itself on that gear. But you DO have to press regen after changing the shaft size before pressing add pinion..

Art
Russ L
Old Timer

Post by Russ L »

Art,

I tried using the regen button but now all I can generate is a .2500 shaft size. This is completely different than the shaft size I am attaching the gear to and the shaft size I specified. Those numbers are respectively .1250 and .1563. I will try again tomorrow. These are all imperial numbers by the way.

Russ
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Russ:

Just created wheel with .1250 and put pinion on its shaft with a .1563

The screen shows the pinions has larger hole than the wheels shaft. Not sure whats happening
with it, perhaps send me the project file if all else fails and Ill see what I can do..

Art
Russ L
Old Timer

Post by Russ L »

After a few more attempts to rectify things, I have a few observations to pass on. First, I will mention that the gears that seem to be having a problem are epicycloid gears. I am also using inches.  The problem seem to begin after I delete gears from the gear train in Project Control. After doing so the shaft sizes that are entered in the Spur Gear section do not seem to be used for generating any gears. The shaft size generated remains the same for every gear generated after the deletion. I think the program is using either the shaft size of the deleted gear or the previous value in the Spur Gear shaft Dia. box.

To check things, I used another file which is essentially the same gear train with spur gears instead of epicycloid gears. The gears in this file are also slightly larger in size, but other than these differences the two projects are identical. The shaft sizes in the spur gear file are handled properly even when part of the train is deleted.

I have been able to complete the cycloid gears by shutting down the program and starting it up again. After doing so the shaft sizes work properly unless I delete something from the train. Hope this helps.