GT2 Timing Pulleys and Belts

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

GT2 Timing Pulleys and Belts

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

I have been using belt calculation feature to determine the combinations of components that would work for my application. I love the feature, Thank You. I also use the    https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog#    website to purchase GT2-5mm pitch Timing Belts and Pulleys. Noticed that Gearotic has a 8mm pitch but no reference to the 2mm and 3mm pitch's SPD/SI supply, and they no reference to the 8mm you have.

It all got me to wondering, what other sites have different components and different gears and where your "goto site" is to reference your selections you have chosen?

If others here have good sources of components please post, Thank You

(Note: Choose METRIC option, then using the Part Index; It was under Belts & Cables / Timing Belts Trumotion)
Last edited by Ya-Nvr-No on Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GT2 Timing Pulleys and Belts

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

I must admit I use no "go-to" site for reference for timing pulleys. They are pretty strange in that there are many conflicting specs, so
I have put in the ones for which I coudl ifnd proper specs. Belt specs arent too had to come by, but the pulleys for them are. The pulleys
ae actually different in shape many times than the belt tooth, so coming up with specs for them is difficult and made more so by the
fact most of the data released is fudges a bit to be made hard to copy. In a list of curve radii, one or two will be wrong for example.

So to be short, Ive added what I can get form whatever source I can find it. :)

Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Did a little cross reference spreadsheet to get my head around all the combinations.
Could be some errors but it was a quick look and see.
Attachments
timingpulley.JPG
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Im not sure what this is showing, is it differences betwen specs?

Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

No just various combinations. Some you support, some you don't. :)
The more I build gadgets & CNC equipment and use the tools, software and components the more I learn.
I have always believed that; "We all need to educate, investigate & experience to understand what questions to ask."
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Too true...

Thx for the table, Ill keep my eyes open for the proper pulley specs for the other types, Im always
interested in adding such things as I come across the specs..

Art
epicycloid
Old Timer

Post by epicycloid »

Are there any other "hints" for settings to produce the best output for the GT2-5's?

I read the old post here http://gearotic.com/ESW/FavIcons/index.php?topic=637.0, but wondered what the reccomendations are these days, or if they have changed since then?

TIA,

--Jon
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

I see that hread had to do with large tooth counts in a gt5-2 causing the stl file to look bad. What usage are you wondering about?
If you need a good dxf, the dxf should be good out of GM, but if you need an STL of one, then save a GM project , load it into GT
and it will reextrude to a high resolution STL.
  It all depends on the method youll use to make it, but Im assuming we're talking either dxf or STL model?

Art
epicycloid
Old Timer

Post by epicycloid »

I just need to produce a dxf for conventional machining on a VMC (Mazak). But since I won't be doing the machining, I'm a tad worried about what settings I should use to produce the best/correct resolution dxf output, or if I have to tweak something in particular?

I'm playing around with various sizes/ratios right now, but probably aiming for something in the 160 to 200 tooth count.

I guess I didn't see that that thread was specifically referring to issues with an STL.

--Jon