Non circular gears

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Non circular gears

Post by BobL »

zafarsalam wrote:
BobL wrote: When I roll both the gears together, the center distance is 110 mm all around. I am planning to create the pitch curve for the second gear by rolling it around the first one with the center distance. The tooth profile can be drawn in a CAD software by rolling a circular gear of same module on the pitch curve. But that would be a very tedious operation. I would have to draw gear profiles for all the 80 teeth manually. That's why I am looking for some automated software to do it.

Zafar

Zafar

I understand, this is why I suggested the GTA module at first, one click would generate the secondary wheel from the primary wheel.. If primary gear is right, it leaves only one possibility for the secondary (pinion)gear to mate.  Anyway, if I come accross something similar, I'll let you know.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

This set was created from the GTA tab.  The pinion is 100% controlled by the gear and although they look like they are the same they aren't but they do mesh just fine.

John

Attachments
GTA.jpg
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Zafar:

It can be very very hard to do such a gear as your photos show. There is no accepoted method of figuring out the modification proceedure or elliptical formulation used for a non-circular gear. No one measurment will tell you what youd need to know to duplicate someone elses gears. GM cannot yet do rotational analysis ( which is what youd need to figure out what the actual calculus is behind the gears shape.. )

Art