Attaching two gears to each other STRAIGHT!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
dmarlen
Old Timer

Attaching two gears to each other STRAIGHT!

Post by dmarlen »

I tried to glue two gears to each other with a spacer between them.  See pics.  Even though I had a dowel through them when I glued, they did not end up perfectly straight.  As a consequence when the gears turn on the shaft they wobble.  Has anyone come up with a better method of gluing?

David.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
John T
Old Timer

Re: Attaching two gears to each other STRAIGHT!

Post by John T »

I've had lots of challenges with wobble and here's my solution.

I put the shaft (dowel) into my drill press and then mount the gears on the shaft for gluing.  The chuck and the drill press table are square an so I use them as a gluing guide.  In my case the drill press table height is adjustable by a gear and so I can use it to apply some pressure as well.  I don't need a lot of pressure just two perpendicular surfaces and a bit of pressure.

If you have a drill press I recommend using it for squaring up gears and shafts.

1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

As John says , a guide can really help.

Also, experiment a bit with your lasers level. I found mine surprisingly out of level and it made a difference. The kerf on the laser will always have a bit of a tilt to it
as it does angle outwards, but making it as level as you can really helps keep them level on a dowl when their laser cut.

Art
JustinO
Old Timer

Post by JustinO »

A metal working machinist would put the shaft "between centers", and rotate the assembly while it is being fastened to check for run out.

Using a longer shaft than you need, and then cutting it off could help.

Some glue shrinks as it dries, try using an absolute minimum amount of glue, tacking the parts, then slowly add small amounts until it is strong, checking the alignment as you go.

Add parts and features in the design, such as bushings and flanges, to help with assembly. Some of these could be removed after assembly.

Use a large hammer to smash parts that don't cooperate.

Try using a threaded rod and a couple nuts and washers. Get everything in position and square, then glue it.

Some plastic will glue with a drop of acetone. Assemble and align the parts, and touch a hypo with a drop of acetone to the joint. It will suck in and make a good joint, depending on the materials.
Last edited by JustinO on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Hi;

Thanks for all your input on attaching two gears together, I'm learning a trick or two to acheive better results..

Thanks to all

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob