Sample of Celtic Module

Post your results here. Share with the world.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sample of Celtic Module

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Ive been working on a new celtic module as I have interest in generating some nice jewelry type
boxes of a celtic theme. Its a complex module and is taking me a very long time as I want it to
be the most configurable celtic fill manager I can make in order to allow as much artistic expression
as possible with celtic knots. That math kinda facinates me as its a great deal of chick/egg type
thinking.

the idea is to allow any shape to be filled with a celtic know that morphs to the shape its given,
for example to make a celtic know based clock face. The module is far from done, but here's a
sample photo of the stl output from a simple square box fill of celtics.

The generator will put out closed contours for simple vcarving or machine, STL's for 3d printing
and grey scale depth photos for laser engraving when done.

I was impressed by the stl so far, so I figured Id post a photo of it.l

Art

Attachments
celtic3d.jpg
John T
Old Timer

Re: Sample of Celtic Module

Post by John T »

Hi Art
I can think of a number of places where I could use these - It would be fun as a replacement for spokes in some places.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Cool!  I knew there was a reason I was drooling over the Sherline CNC ad...  Mrs. Moose's latest approach is to ask where I'm going to put any proposed tool purchases, and so far "In the new shop building" hasn't been a winning approach (want to build one on the Bokeelia property).  At least this is pretty small.

The Delta shaper is making chips, although the homemade 2x2 steel tubing stand needs the motor's mounting holes moved so the belt cover will close.   Wondering if an eBay BS-0 dividing head will work on it.  The Moose woodshop is slowly progressing, although it's been disrupted a couple times by medical events.  Discovered that leaning too far back when applying construction adhesive to ceiling beams (fixing hundred year old problems, can't complain since they outlasted the guy that installed them by around 80 years so far while supporting up to 30 or so tons of hay) while two steps up a stepladder gets you a trip to the ER where a nice NP will stitch you back together,.  Took the stitches out a couple days ago and will try and remember to move the ladder next time.  

Maybe you can add the guilloche module next :)

Kirk

Edit: what was I thinking, I meant Taig
Last edited by Mooselake on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Ive already begun last year reading up on guilloche methods and theory. I have some code
cobbled together for after Ive finished obscessing on Celtics. Ive wondered what a lasered
guilloch would look like so I suspect youll see that eventually.

Celtics will be another month or two I suspect, its been in development for awhile
but keeps biting me on certain complexities..
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bit more refined example of an stl output.. :)

Art
Attachments
celtic5.jpg
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art
That looks really nice - patiently waiting
John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi :

Sample output of photogreyscale from a Vexx Celtic and how the laser dealt with it,
looks much nicer than the photo shows. Not quite there yet but Im liking the look.  

Art

Edit:  Celtic Burn was 3" x 3" of knots.
edit:edit:  Depth is 7.5mm in Pine.
Attachments
BurntCeltic.jpg
stl3.jpg
Last edited by ArtF on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.