How far are we away from 3D printing clocks?

A discussion and development of a 3d printer is located here.
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

How far are we away from 3D printing clocks?

Post by Ken_Shea »

Talking about home users not high dollar commercial units.

I see the quality of prints really improving, unfortuanatly seeing prices jump as well.

Ken

HAHA just discovered it's already done, shoulda known I guess.
http://www.digitalurban.org/2013/09/3d- ... clock.html

I really "NEED" a 3D printer :D

Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: How far are we away from 3D printing clocks?

Post by Mooselake »

Check this out.  This is a pretty ambitious 3D printed clock project, with a number of test jigs and a parts library, although he seems to have gone inactive.

Gotta watch out for those 3D printers, Ken.  They're addicting, not to mention another gadget that requires endless feeding of dollars.  I'm on another mod cycle on my Printrbot, just placed my first Aliexpress order for some T8-8 leadscrews and nuts to replace the allthread Z axis; the new dual gear extruder improved the print quality enough it was time to focus on the little bit of Z wobble artifact the allthread/printed couplers was introducing.  It never ends...

Kirk
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Re: How far are we away from 3D printing clocks?

Post by Ken_Shea »

Very interesting Kirk,

"They're addicting, not to mention another gadget that requires endless feeding of dollars."

I've a major project going on (among too many small ones) and your excerpt above is one reason I delay biting the bullet.

One is definitely in my future though, I may start scrounging parts and sticking them in a box for down the road, yes... that sounds like a good idea to me!

Will you be updating your new hot end/lead screw install on the PB forum?

Some time back I'd priced filament from AliBaba a sister company of AliExpress but more volume oriented and prices were a fraction of what is charged buying by the kg here in the States. It's dang near criminal what they are charging for it. What ever the market will bear is now the philosophy of companies irregardless on actual worth, value or cost.

Ken