Anyone have a recommendation for a good but low cost 3D printer?

A discussion and development of a 3d printer is located here.
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Anyone have a recommendation for a good but low cost 3D printer?

Post by Dan Mauch »

My son is looking for 3D printer with a  work space of about 10"X10" and recommendations out there?
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: Anyone have a recommendation for a good but low cost 3D printer?

Post by Mooselake »

Ender 3 Pro, around $200.  There's a newer model for pre-order but it's more expensive, The Ender 3 V2.  quieter motor drivers (TMC2209 iirc), bigger display, included glass print bed with some fancy better-sticker coating, minor mechanical changes (rarely used belt tension screw, manual filament advance knob (for those who's thumbs are too weak to hold the lever and push, added drawer, repositioned power supply, etc).  Check that out and see what you think of it too.  It's not as good as a tricked out i3 MK3s with the MMU, but the Prusa isn't 5x as good for it's 5x price.  Plus when he gets to where he needs that he'll want more than one printer.

I have an E3P and am quite happy with it.  Needed something for the southern mooselake manor to keep the 3018 dinky router company during the avoiding snow shoveling season (and last summer while recovering from knee surgery in a no-stairs house).  Only mod was replacing it's stock plastic extruder with an aluminum dual gear model, and some stouter bed adjusting springs (no alien probing with this model, needs the occasional 15 second recheck).  Neither totally necessary, but only cost about 20 bucks.  Some day I'll probably drop an SKS E3 mini control board in it, 32 bit arm CPU and TMC drivers, but not in a rush.

Kirk
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Re: Anyone have a recommendation for a good but low cost 3D printer?

Post by Dan Mauch »

Thanks. That was helpful.
Dan mauch