Orange Clockwork Ticker

Files, photos and discusions on Tickers and kinetic devices.
Rocket
Old Timer

Re: Orange Clockwork Ticker

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Could you post the actual dxf files that you
used as the latch and the trigger.  Also, what
thickness to make each piece and where to place
the magnets?  I would like to cut these pieces on my laser cutter.

Thanks,

Richard
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Richard:

Here is a dxf showing the magnets and the drawing that were used for the trigger and toggle.
You will find you may have to sand and shape a bit, as I said, I tend to get close with drawings and cut,
then I shave or sand till they clear any obstacles. The thickness of both is about 20mm..

Art
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Thank you,

Richard
Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Is there one or two magnets in the piece in the photo?
Also, is there some type of counter weight added to one
side of this toggle?

Richard
Attachments
Toggle (2).jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Rocket:

The toggle has two magnets. The first is a very small 1/8" round magnet planter in the top back corner facing upwards,
it faces a mate in the top that is at the "rest" position of the toggle. Look at the top photo and youll see a post.. ( cut from a
Q-Tip cotton swab, that post stops the toggle from swinging its back end out further, and also defines the "Rest" position.
  At that spot is a small 1/8" magnet that attracts the 1/8" in the toggles top facing upwards. All these two do is define a
very weak spring that holds the toggle in its rest position as it swings around CW. If it was out and hit a post while moving CW,
the toggle will get flicked back to hit the cotton swap post, and the magnets will then attract each other and hold it there.

The other, and more important magnet, is a cylindrical magnet, 1/4" by 1/2" inch long that is embedded into a groove
cut into the toggle, it faces outwards so as to attract itself to the cylindrical magnet in the trigger latch. As its hard to determine
where this magnet goes in the toggle, the one in the trigger latch is pressed further away or closer to the one in the toggle
to adjust their relative power to attract each other. SO to put the one in the toggle, tou have to machine out a groove to fit
the cylinder into, or, if you use a different type of magnet ( any will do) , drill a hole or make a pocket, whatever it takes
to attach a magnet to the toggle strong enough to pull itself toward the trigger latch as the top turns CCW toward it.

Art

Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Thank you.

Richard
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Richard:

No problem, I know the challenge of building these things. You'll find though, as you go, the
shapes become obvious. If a magnet isnt strong enough, replace with another , or move to a position
where it has better attraction.  Orange wasn't made from strictly dxf's, I rough such things out, then
build and adjust till I see where the problems lie.

I hope in future to give much better tools for figuring out such things. A new application has been started
with that aim in mind. It'll be awhile before "Vexx" is released in Gearotics package, but my aim is to
remove all the vector tools from Auggie and gearotic and place them in a MUCH better GUI and database
to allow kinetic designs to be more rapidly built and simulated. "Vexx" will be dedicated for vector art,
kinetics and their mechanization. 

Art
drezal
Old Timer

Post by drezal »

Awesome.  Looking forward to Vexx.  I've played with all of Gearotic's features and tools and really dig it.  As far as what you've defined as Vexx there really isn't anything like it on the market that I know of.

Dan
Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Vexx....sounds great....I really appreciate all your efforts....

I get vexed at myself when I cannot figure something out.....

Richard.........
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>I get vexed at myself when I cannot figure something out...

Thats why its called Vexx..I too get vexxed when trying to figure out the tougher stuff..
lol

Art
RG
Old Timer

Post by RG »

Vulcan Spring has the sv10g160 constant force spring for $10, but there is a $100 minimum (plus shipping). Do several people interested in building this ticker want to go in together to buy some springs?

Roger
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Id be willling to do it from here Roger, but the cost of shipping from USA to here, then back to the USA is prohibitive, makes it a
better deal if someone in the US can do it.

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Just for grins I called them.  High production volumes only, no interest in low volume sales, nor do they have any dealers who can supply a spring or two.  They suggest McMaster Carr, which I understand will now ship to Canada.

Kirk

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kinda figured, its likely why the tang on my spring is different. I bought a bag of them awhile back, just a mixture
of various strengths..

Art
epicycloid
Old Timer

Post by epicycloid »

I know this is more than a year since the last post, but I noticed the same problem with Vulcan not wanting to sell to end users (now they have a $200 minimum).

I wonder if anyone sorted out the spring specs to pick a replacement from McMaster-Carr?

The specs for the Vulcan spring are:

Part Number SV10G160
Torque ? 10% 4.17 in-lbs.
Thickness (in) 0.010"
Width (in) 0.500"
Length 160"
Turns 20
I.D. +-10% 1.01"
Storage Drum
1.17"
Output Drum 2.02"
Center to Center 2.25"

It doesn't look like McMaster-Carr has anything as long (160"), but a handful in the 30" - 60" +/- lengths, in the 4 +/- pound torque range.

What matters most in this type of design?

--Jon