Arduino based Laser Control

A forum for the Arduino based Mach4/Darwin Laser Control Panel
Richard Cullin
Old Timer

Re: Arduino based Laser Control

Post by Richard Cullin »

the datasheet for a LT1121 indicates ~  max output current is  150 mA    (0.15 amps) that won't even warm up a 2w laser .
Richard Cullin
Old Timer

Post by Richard Cullin »

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Good point...  150ma wont cut it..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

I will bring the console back in, its like that as arduino ide went mental yesterday I had to delete all the copy's and temp files to do with this, that's the copy I am using for porting over to Ti`s ide I am striping it back in the arduino ide so when I know its working properly with arduino I will move it over and change it to work with TI`s MSP430 boards then do it again to there C2000 boards.

Ill will be making a head for the laser to go into so I can run air through it so it keeps the smoke away from the lens and cools it at the same time, it will be a pieces of bronze what I will cut fins into it and fit it into a aluminium block what I more than likely will add a fan onto it as-well. or run water though it or forced air.

the forced air idea comes from a diy mister I made for my big router, when I run water though it the temp of the housing drop by quite a bit  

I have a big computer coiling fan and block what I will be using to keep the driver cool.

quite a few of the parts I will be using are recycled from computers and a machinists junk box I was given what had quite a few good bits of metals in it.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

I know its not enough to run a 2W laser that's why I said I can get a 2W+ driver its just checking the circuit is correct to use with this project. or I might use a LT1764A - 3A, Fast Transient Response, Low Noise, LDO Regulators or the Ti equivalent.

or just buy something that will work
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Hi Dan,

A group of us have been working with diode lasers for some time now and something you may wish to consider is fitting a Lasorb (or similar) across your laser diode terminals. When you consider the cost of replacing the diode these little devices are a pretty good insurance policy against the unexpected. http://www.lasorb.com

Tweakie.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Tweakie:

Thx, I hadnt heard of those... happy to read up on that one..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

thanks Tweakie looks like a good idea not to expensive ever
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

gentlemen I have decide to just buy a laser driver unless someone has a driver plan for a 2W 445 laser that's not to hard to make.
I have been looking and there are a lot of drivers that look about right and at a different cost for the same thing I am looking at this one

http://odicforce.com/shop/article_OFL43 ... DOFL432%26

or this one
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_pa ... cts_id=147

my budget is very small but I don't wont to wast money getting something that is shite

I will get what Tweakie suggest to.

Also I will run a test load on any driver I get before connecting up a driver

I will be mounting this on my emco pcmill30 that I rebuilt and don't use it since I have access to a big machine it not worth getting ride of it as I can leave it running for hours on end with out having any problems, even when I have been playing with M4 I left it going for 2 hours to test how accurate it ran with M4.

And more than likely I will be putting a laser on the big machine I have access to once Art changes this to work with ESS as well LOL
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Hi Dan,

As RF lasers require a tickle pulse (to keep them on the edge of lasing) so diode lasers require a small current, when in standby, in order to obtain a more linear response in their performance.
I am not recommending anything but the majority of the members (of the group I belong to) have chosen the Flexmod P3 driver and they are getting extremely good results with using it. http://innolasers.com/laser/FlexModP3/F ... Manual.pdf

You are, of course, quite right in connecting a dummy load to the driver in order to set it?s maximum current etc. long before even considering connecting the laser diode. Good thinking my friend.

Tweakie.
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

I was hopping you would reply the group you are alluding to is it http://laserpointerforums.com/ I have looked through there lots of good info
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I have a pretty basic question.  I have a number of old farm machines, and a frequent problem with oil inside them wanting to rejoin it's dead dinosaur brothers by escaping and seeking the ground.  I make a lot of my own gaskets, part necessity and part I like making them.

I see a lot of different wavelength lasers, from DVD blue to infrared.  What's recommended for cutting gasket paper, along with being able to make gray scale Celtic knots and general fooling around?  I'd attach it to either my Printrbot or Zenbot Mini.

Thanks!

Kirk
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

yo Tweakie I have look true lpf and I could not find anything bad about flexmod p3 I think I might go with it will I need to add that other thing you suggested also will it work with arts controller with out many problems.

and what would be a good set up for a test driver/load I am a complete newbie when it comes to electronics

any and all advice take on

thanks
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Hi Guys,

We are going a bit off-topic here so I have started a new thread http://gearotic.com/ESW/FavIcons/http:/ ... 7343#p7343

Tweakie.