Confidence - suggestions, please

Drop zone for Webcam data
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Using a logitech HD c615 @ 176 x 44.  Purchased the web-cam for this feature.  If it isn't an appropriate model, please let me know.  Ranged the acquisition speed, shop light on and off (one of those twin head halogen units), black background, white background.  Camera generally mounted on my laptop.

My "confidence levels" (and my confidence :-)) usually 3 - 4, never gotten higher than 12.  Don't get more than 25k vertices.  I viewed the video (maybe need to again).  I've tried self-portraits, still life and hand.

Any pointers?

Also, if relevant: when "create 3D" iteration rings the error(?) bell on my laptop (a Dell running Win7 - with not much of a video card, if that makes a difference).

Thanks.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Confidence - suggestions, please

Post by BobL »

Hi;

Is your video camera active and present in the Gearotic list, what resulution do you have selected? If not, make sure your camera driver is installed on your computer and try again. You tube video link is here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYdk6VU0Lk

Thanks
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Bob,

Yes.&nbsp; It is recognized by Gearotic.&nbsp; I select (usually) 176 x 144 (thought that is what was recommended in the video).&nbsp; I've varied the flash setting (without material difference in the "confidence").&nbsp; It fires fine.&nbsp; I get 4 images on the screen.&nbsp; I usually achieve "confidence" rating < 10.&nbsp; Once, 12.

Thanks.
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

if you have background lighting that can make the images not come out very well with a very low confidence, your one is the next up from mine I get between 50 to 80 confidence depending on the color of the background white was low, black was in the middle, mdf was at the high end.

I have mine in a box with a screen behind the camera on arts new version it was far to good having a set up in a box, the pictures were coming out picture perfect with a depth of 3 m
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

BMeyers;

I'm not sure how you improve the confidence from 4 to 80's other than darken the room and brighten the monitor flash. We used a white background in our test with a 25in monitor, if I remember correctly we got in the 60-80 first try. Is the brightness turn all the way up on your monitor?

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Bob,

You mention "monitor flash".&nbsp; If that means a flash from the web-cam, I do not notice any flash from the web-cam during "fire".&nbsp; That would also explain what I observed in the jpgs attached to another string under this topic (the light on the object appeared to be coming from a different direction between the shots).&nbsp; I don't see mention of "flash" in my web-cam user manual; and do not know how to get it to do that even if it is capable.&nbsp; If the camera is supposed to flash, that would explain why the 4 photos don't yield the information needed to make a good rendition.

If "monitor flash" refers to another device, please explain.

Regards,

Brian.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Brian;

The monitor is your flash, the closer you are to it the higher your confidence number will be. No web camera flash is necessary.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Ah.&nbsp; So it is the alternating black/white image on the monitor, if facing the object, provides the slightly differently angled lighting which enables the program to approximate depth.&nbsp; Hmmm. the monitor was certainly facing me when I previously attempted some portraits - with low confidence results.&nbsp; I will try the process at night (otherwise the sun will make the room bright) to allow the monitor to provide the light, once I replace the web-cam I returned earlier today.

Thanks.
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

Brian your webcam will be more than good enough it`s better than my one, you just need a dark background as in no light or just a little bit. stick a blanket over yourself and the screen, that will do the trick go old school
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

BMeyers;

That's right, a dark room, capture image as close to your monitor as possible when taking the shot and if you can have a white or black background that really makes things better.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

DanL and Bob,

Thanks for the pointers.&nbsp; Might be awhile, but I will give it a go.

Regards,

Brian.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Yes, results really require a dark room and a monitor bright enough to make a difference. Turn your monitor brightness up full
for the shots if you can.. it can really help. Many never notice how dark their monitor is after a few years, I just replaced both my primary
monitors this year and they near blinded me ..my old ones were much worse than I thought. I use a widescreen, so I dont need to adjust anything, the photos work out great usually.

Art