Auggie Early posts

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
DanL
Old Timer

Re: Auggie Early posts

Post by DanL »

I don`t think art has any hobby`s o what yes he does he make`s cool stuff. Auggie may beat M4 out the gate Art if I can run all my machines with this I will be very happy
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Actually, my problem is too many hobbies. Im like a dog who keep seeing squirrels , I have to rush over. My Squirrels are when I dont
understand how something works, I find I have to write code to explain the finer points.. then I can move on.

For Auggie, I simply need a Laser solution, and while its true that if it drives a laser it can also drive other things, its also true
a laser doesnt need things like G42 , so it may not be appropriate for all machines. I do believe in leaving hooks though, so Im
doing my best to ensure theres places there for people to play with pretty much all the configurations and script any responce
to external stimulus.

I might point out though, that I embark on such things every summer and sometimes their usefull, sometimes not. Last
year was the workbench and 4th axis modules, which have proven popular, the year before I didnt end up releasing the code
I had written, but did end up releasing it as the web->3d module before this summer started. Sometimes I simply get stuck
and cannot continue till Ive been educated more, 3d took 4 years of thought and part time investigations. I cannot promise
how long Auggie will take, I hope to put at a minimum a wizarding program in the release package this fall and add motion
as I can. Auggies lucky in that I already have a great deal of code in my archive of summers past. From LazyTurn to Tempest
theres much code that can be added or modified to make Auggie usefull for someone. I highly suspect it will become an icon
on your fall desktop after installing Gearotic, my job is to see if I can make it usefull enough to entice you to run it occasionally.

I cant imagine a world where I find theres nothing to do , and Im gratefull people tune in to get gearotic and contribute
to its growth, we'll see where that leads. Auggie is cool and fun to play with, Ill be happy if I can add usefull to that list for
this years development season.

Thx
Art

Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote:Most laser software is pretty bad, Im hoping to replace it with a pokeys and auggie. No DSP based panel required.
Based on one data point pretty bad is an understatement.

What's this DSP thing, anyway.  Never worked on one, but my understanding is they're just a CPU with floating point and fast A/D and D/A built it, can't see where that's important for controlling a laser.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk

Almost all the lasers seem to run on dsp's, fancy way of saying they have a firmware based control. They typically use USB or a printer
interface to control them. Which is fine for the most part, fast too, but doesnt give the flexibiity I want. I was real pleased with Darwins
way of using the laser, but I do understand its too complex to do the arduino thing for most people, so we'll see if local control withI something
like Auggie can make it better. The DSP controls on Ebay seem to be in the hundreds of dollars.. so I cant see what a Pokeys and a copy of Auggie cant
do the same job..only better, and with more control....

I suspect itd be best for non traditional cnc, like lasers, engravers, coil winders, lens grinders, 3d printers and the like..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

sounds good art with the router I have to keep it simple as my dad use`s it as well so there is no fancy M or G codes used just put in G code push start, stop for tool change set it`s height re start, simple stuff only.

and I need a 3D printer so I will add a printing head and laser head to it i just use my little emco for testing as its solid as a rock

M4 is still years away
bosr
Old Timer

Post by bosr »

Very interesting.

Now I can do greyscale with the plasma cutter.  ::)

One of my future projects is to make an automated bullet re-loader and case trimmer for my brother.  You just made my life a lot easier.

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

:)

>>One of my future projects is to make an automated bullet re-loader and case trimmer for my brother. 

Now your speaking my language, thats the type of weirdness Id like to see run... If a hobbiest has a motion requirement,
Id like to see Auggi being an easy way to run it..  Now if only creating such a program comes as easy as envisioning it.. ;)

Art
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Could it ever do lathe threading ?
John S.
Nottingham, England
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

In theory I suppose, though not as a normal cnc program, I think Id see that as a realtime wizard, select the thread, prep system and hit got type of thing.. a scripted thread..
but I woudlnt hold my breath for it time wise.. :)

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

no doubt Ya-Nvr_know will do it he seems to have everything else on his screen  ;D
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

;D
too funny
I'm just showing how easy this will be to do.
And show the interaction that can be done between panels.
(Showing how sliders can drive DRO's and until the motion control module is included)
As I hope my examples will make the learning curve far less overwhelming.
;D
I am trying to get all interest HIGH and stir minds on working on ideas.
Still has a ways to go, Art has been very generous and kept me in the loop of his vision, and let me create some screens and panels that DO over show the interactions. This is my way to test, find issues and learn to script.
Still think the new Icon on the screen should be labeled "MP" for mission possible.

Looks to have all the tools to make whatever you think up, Possible.
few I am dreaming about
Chop Saw control
Tube and wire bender
Sheet metal break
create 3d wave shapes for backgrounds for my 3d signs
home automation control
monitor and control my pellet stove fans and external feeders

DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

it looks a bit easier than Lua, and if Art does call`s to and from arduino type boards it`s going to be quite interesting Art`s version of IOT.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

It IS much easier than Lua, and much more understandable. Basically what we have so far is an interface system for designing screens of various control types,
a Scripting system that can attach any of the controls to scripted logic, A GCode loading system that analyses the GCode on the way in to display it in unique ways
both before and during future execution. Once I finish the GCode analyser, I need to complete turning on the Toolpath dislay ( Gearotics simulator)
and that will be the end of Stage 1 really. At that point the program will be useful to some, and will be released. That will end a decent Summer project imo.
While I take summers off it seems every fall I release a new toy from the summer, just cant always guarantee it will be something to do with gears, but people
have been great about not complaining about the subject matter I choose.

From there we can build it as we go with users submitting suggestions and/or actual panels to be included in releases. Since the program divides everything
into panels, it should be growable in ways I cant yet concieve. I intend to add Arduino types of IO control as well prehaps as Raspberry PI, but all that will
not happen until the PoKeys is running and my Laser is humming.

Once its running as a laser controller, it should be easily adaptable to almost any other weirdo machine one might like to build..

At the very least, if you play with Arduino's and such its an easy way to script up an interface to do pretty complex operations without having to put
the code in the arduino..

Ill likely release a video of the GCode module before I leave for Spain next month.

Art

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

it sound`s all good art I am getting all my little jobs finished thing what have been laying around not quite finished for years, so I can have the time to learn Auggie.

I still need to do those scanner files for you that will be next week.

GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

My Pokeys57CNC just showed up as being in New York, so i should see it early next week.

Working on a 24 x 36 gantry to house a CO2 laser as well as a diode laser. 
Some where saying that the CO2 don't respond fast enough to engrave correctly so thought a dual setup would be cool.
Excited to see where Auggie goes.

Glenn