Auggie Early posts

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Auggie Early posts

Post by ArtF »

Glen:
Ill be highly motivated for laser, and Im getting my ready for auggie with a servo driven table so I can refocus
to depths on the fly. Be interesting to see how that goes.. :)

Art
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Art
I was thinking about not doing a table to adjust focal length and just run the lens and the diode up and down.
I am wondering why most do a table that moves.
Another part of my reason for the lens and the diode is that way i can create a pass through for material longer than 24"

It does sound cool to do the adjust on the fly.

Glenn
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Glen:

Ive considered a lens as well, in fact I made a small stepper up/down for the lens
from the guts of a cd player.. and I may have to try that at some point as well. :)

Art
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Art
I bought a K40 like Moose had done.
I wanted to become familiar with running a laser first so I wasn't starting out blind on a new machine.
It also made sense since the laser and PS alone cost about what the machine cost.
As they die I will replace with better parts.

I am going to use one of the steppers from the K40 for my Z. 

I will control the steppers with a G540 left over from a upgrade on my router when I went to 80v, G203 with a vital system's Hicon control and Mach4.

Got the router up to 640 ipm, but the machine is to lite.
Had to limit it to 400ipm to keep it from moving across the floor.  Little misses wasn't to keen on anchor holes in the garage floor.

Trying to figure out the best approach for control software until Auggie is ready for a try.

Thanks
Glenn

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Glenn:

Yeah, there really isnt much is there? Mach3 would drive it as a on/off type of laser device.. which isnt bad, but
I dont know of anything as yet that will deal with the lasers efectively .
Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Glenn Davina wrote:I bought a K40 like Moose had done
Check out the K40 G+ group.

Did you get the LaserDRW or Moshidraw controller?  Mine has LaserDRW and a Corel plugin.  The software is essentially undocumented and quirky, but it's usable and will help you develop more patience.

Kirk
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

It's alive  ;D

just wanted to show a couple of quick clips of Auggie running a script on the pokies57cnc

https://youtu.be/lHeLpvVxDTQ

https://youtu.be/iq8yRNFL-kw

this is not the exact code but gives you an idea of a looping routine

for(i = 0; i < 2; i = i +1)
{
Engine.RapidTo(1,1,1,X);
Engine.RapidTo(1,25,-1,X);
Engine.RapidTo(25,1,1,X);
Engine.RapidTo(1,25,-1,X);
}
Last edited by Ya-Nvr-No on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Moose
Thank you for the link.
LaserDRW.&nbsp;
Have made a couple of things so far.
Etched some glass and did a rubber stamp for my wife.
Etched 20 wooded canteen faces for a charity for the local college alumni.

The company I currently work for bought a DSP controller(LO-RD5) for me to try out since I am doing some stuff for them from home.
Made a single sided board so I can go back and forth between controllers if they want it back.&nbsp; [url]http://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2889[\url]
Not really excited about it either though it does work and the documentation is a little better.&nbsp; No hasp to run the software either.

GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Ya-Nvr-No
Looks great, my gantry not near as cool looking.

Moose
Should mention the RD5 DSP won't let you do grey scale if you have a CO2 laser selected.

Glenn
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Glenn:

I wonder if its a co2 limitation..or if its more that co2&nbsp; lasers can be tempermental at triggering in lower power
levels.. mine wont turn on under 20% for example..

Art
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Art
Here is what Marco over at Light object posted.
I was told that the R5 support "gray scale" engraving but when I tried it on regular CO2 laser, I didn't see the effect. I talked to Mr.Xiao and he told me that the feature only available when running "RF" laser. The delay on CO2 won't be able to show the grayscale effectively on the engraving.
I was half tempted to try the RF setting with out pre-ignition, to see if I could do grey scale but not sure what it would do to my tube.&nbsp; My tube fires with the controller set to 9%.

Glenn
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Glen:

&nbsp; I suspect highly the problem is one of nonlinearity, something one could conceivably
correct for with proper calibration but with no guarentee's of performance which would
likely vary form tube to tube. I base this suspicion on the way my laser works, where the on/off
is very fast with as much as over 1000dots per inch, so hysterisis doesnt appear to be
the issue, but Ill bet linearity is (based on linearity tests Ive run on my glass co2 laser
vs the rf one..)...
&nbsp; Ill be facinated to hear how that works out on co2 tubes vs the rf tube Ill be initially
hooking up. I also have 2 other co2 lasers, one glass and one ceramic that I can eventually
attempt to control to see the effect...

&nbsp; There are other ways to get get scale though without varying power, simply varying speed
and frequency would provide a decent grey scale as power is in linear proportion to speed
in its effect. Sounds like lots to play with when we get going.&nbsp; :-)

&nbsp; Art

&nbsp;
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Kinda related, if you do some googling (start with grayscale laser photo engraving)&nbsp; you can find a number of articles on how to get grayscale results with dithering (the photo variety, not the Moose version).&nbsp; LaserDRW has a (undocumented, of course) "pixel" option in the engraving properties that seems to control the size of a block used to implement dithering within the software, that might eliminate the need to use external software (GIMP, for example) to preprocess images.&nbsp; I've tried it for engraving glass and it looks promising.&nbsp; It interacts with power and speed settings so needs more experiments.

I'm getting mixed grayscale results overall, but that's due mostly to a more random than systematic approach, my issues are more related to getting the speed and power settings just right and not having the spare time atm to do some extended sessions and sort it out.&nbsp; Wanting to try engraving on every kind of odd material can find isn't helping, either.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

lol, I get sucked into that as well. Too many cool things to see what happens on.. :)

Art
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Kirk
The manual for RDworks has a section on dithering, I will check it out. Thank you.
So much to learn so little free time.&nbsp;
I haven't been able to touch the K40 for the last three weekends working on getting printed parts done for the laser table or doing honey do's.

I was going to say can't wait till I retire, but I don't know any one currently that is retired that has much free time.

Glenn