PoKeys57CNC Stepper Drivers

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
Mooselake
Old Timer

PoKeys57CNC Stepper Drivers

Post by Mooselake »

The pokeys57cnc is ordered, but I need a bit of help, or at least a sanity check, with stepper drivers for my laser.  From a quick review of the relevant manuals it doesn't look very hard to connect some of the ubiquitous TI DRV8825 Pololu clone boards; at about $2 each they're considerably cheaper than the pokeys $30 driver board, although with a bit more effort.

Does this appear to be reasonable?  What is everybody else using?

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PoKeys57CNC Stepper Drivers

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

Im using servo's that I had hooked up before on my Bob Campbell board. I will be adding one more servo
but I think I have drivers here for that too. I think the pololu board should be fine depending on the power of the motor. Just make sure
you have good heat sinks, I hear anecdotally thats the issue with most small drivers..

Ive been pleased with the cnc57 so far, though I wish it had terminal strips instead of plugs. It also uses a small buffer so timing
is critical, I found my network router needed a firmware upgrade or I lost steps every once in a while. Been better since and runs fine,
but only has a 128ms buffer, so its important to have a stable computer.. but then, thats with testing only two machines.. what do I know...
?
:)
Art
MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

Hi,

I am the new member. I have bought the postep-25-32 drivers, got one as christmasgift by poscope, because I emaild the words "art is Santa" ;D; They are quite sufficient for Nema 17 Motors and do not cost 30 but I payed 17? (almost equal to 17 US$)
I am just trying them to run with a Nema 23, even if I know, that they are a little under powered. I myself make also some powerlolu pcbs, just ordered, waiting for arrival in the next week. I will post my results soon.

Michael
Regards Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Great Michael:

The more testers , the better. Let me know if you need any assistance on setting up.

Art