Auggie becomes unresponsive and has to be restarted

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
joemac05
Old Timer

Re: Augie becomes unresponsive and has to be restarted

Post by joemac05 »

I just set my screen saver to 600 minutes... we'll see what happens today. I stopped it turning off the monitors the other day but left "Random Photo Screensaver" active after 10 minutes. Meanwhile I'll ponder other things to try.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Perhaps connect the Auggie computer, Pokeys, and home network cable to a small ethernet switch?

I'll likely need to do something similar, as this laptop is currently wireless and I don't want to muck around with static addresses on it's ethernet port.   That'll likely hose me somewhere else when I forget about them, and it's embarrassing when the coerced IT/networking guy can't sort out his own computer...

Joe, I've becoming a fan of Ubiquiti wireless hardware, and their inexpensive new AC lite hardware (disclaimer, free boxes in exchange for beta testing...) has been working very well in the log walled Mooselake Manor.  Bit difficult to do the initial config, but just sits there and works, windoze says 800Mb in the same room.  Of course this is from a guy that has a gigabit 24 port smart switch in the basement, a thousand feet or so of cat 5 in the walls (not enough...), and APs on several floors.  We counted last night, and the TV room has at least 4 (wired) devices with netflix viewers - not counting the smartphones and tablets that were there at the time.

Art, wire that TV :)  We recently became cord cutters, but the HR44 Genie had a nasty bug (that they never really fixed) where it go into bezerko mode and spew enough traffic it shut down the home wired (wireless, too) network.  Thought it was my vpn router, reflashed a couple times and then replaced it before figuring out it was the DTV box.  A Roku fixed that...

Starting to look like USB might be the way to go...

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Well, my USB testing so far has been flawless, but as I say, we likely have alot to learn together as we go. :)

Im very pleased with motion and general responce, but as any of us involved in m3's development know,
you go a lot on faith and hope till you see how everything works across  the many configs people will have..

This is an interesting project in many ways internally, how many scripts can one have, what kind of timing
problems and such await.. you just ever know till its all up and running.

Art
joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

Kirk, thanks for the comments, I appreciate the input. I will keep this all in mind.

Art, I'll make some changes with my USB setup at some point and retry it. I have been playing today and shot both feet off several times, those are usually lessons that stay learned. I have at least now become an X axis motor spinner from the G540.  ;D It's running the spiral as I type.

My son who is an IT guy was over today to fix his wife's car in my shop and stuck his nose into what I was playing with. He just walked away shaking his head and mumbling all the reasons this was a bad idea when I told him we were trying to run a real time device over the network.<Grin> I'm going to have to stop and take a good look at the network setup though, It was never planned but just "happened" since we ran Novell around here.

All in good fun........
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Joe:

He'll grumble more if you tell him it will all work fine so long as the network never stalls more than 100ms...

:)

Art
joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

With the 010 version things were looking good running the spiral but it just estopped.

I'm now running two small steppers from my G540 for the tests...&nbsp;

Log attached..

I'll go look for the latest.... and I ordered a new 24 port hub last night.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Joe:

Glad its cleaner anyway. System seems clean till it disconnects... Ive seen dropouts, but the disconnects are concerning, mine never seems to do that unless I do a bad code error .. but lets see how it goes over the next while..

thx for the report..

Art
joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

Fired up Augie V 020 this morning and it got about 2/3 through the spiral and estop. Sometimes it runs forever but every now and then.... but the log... er what?

Log attached and I will look for the latest...
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

And lately when I do get disconnected I have to use task manager to shut Augie down..
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Joe:

&nbsp; I have seen things lock up when a com thread bocks on an unresponsive device. All your troubles point to
a general network reset happening occasionally.. Have you checked to see if your router logs shgow anything?

TO get a log now, you have to turn it on, the switch is on the run-time config button.

Art

joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

I am feeding my network through a 16 port switch. From there I feed some common garden variety multi-port WiFi routers. One line goes out to an old switch in the garage which feeds a WiFi router for my internet connected garage door. Two WiFi routers here in the office, one up in my wife's office, a couple of printers, one an old HP plotter with a parallel the Ethernet dongle. My internet modem goes to an old 8 port switch to get the two IP addresses I am allowed. One goes to an ANCIENT server (its gotta go) that does the DHCP? stuff and firewall and another that was to replace it but never got finished..&nbsp; yet. It boogles the mind that any of this works at all.

In other words, I have no idea what I am doing.... <Grin> Logs??? These are all consumer grade hubs and switches I don't think they log anything. I thought I was wrong once but I think I was mistaken.

Just downloaded Auggie again and seems like we are still at 020...

Log is now on... thanks Art.

I'm planning on trying it with my laptop and a direct connection. It's on the list.
joemac05
Old Timer

Post by joemac05 »

And don't worry about me, I'm just playing and reporting... I'm going to want a laser setup sooner or later so I'm just following along.
joemac05
Old Timer

Re: Auggie becomes unresponsive and has to be restarted

Post by joemac05 »

Hi Art,

I originally bought the PoKeys so I could run Mach4 but had not got as far as taking it out of the bag. When you came along with Auggie that lit my fuse and I've been having some fun with it.

Today I decided to figure out hot to get Mach4 running with it and I got motors spinning and tried the road runner files. I got a few disconnects so thought I would give the spiral file a try. The results were god awful. I tried again an hour later and no better.

I have just gone back to Auggie.... That was a bit of an adventure, I still am unsure of the sequence to get the Pokeys lit. At any rate I hit the magic connotations and am now testing the spiral again. I shall report shortly but it looks like my Mach4 setup is a disaster....&nbsp;

Pretty much time to try another computer for a try......