Tempest Planner explanation of Function.. (Boring warning..)

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
chicoxiba
Old Timer

Re: Tempest Planner explanation of Function.. (Boring warning..)

Post by chicoxiba »

Love it!

I have to make more time to be part of this. I will be demoing the releases that's for sure. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to allocate more time and really give it a good run.
I will order a pokeys sometime soon, I can feel it.

Thanks Art.

F
chicoxiba
Old Timer

Post by chicoxiba »

Art,

I have just relived a really interesting conversation you had with a user named Piv, clever guy. What an inspiring talk about the trajectory planners and the strategy behind it. I have to say I agree with this guy in his points on that there must be an easier way to make a planner run through a 3 dimensional path of coordinates defining "organic, amorphic" forms.. "contouring". Here is the link, it starts on page 9 and gets really good around page 11,12. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index. ... 42.80.html

As a matter of fact I have used a machine controller program for PC that does that, but it is proprietary and I cannot use it. Also it is quite costly to build a machine to use it because it needs a galil controller to work.
I could post a video or two I made of it working, its really quite good; Cuts absolutely true to the path and it runs very smooth and very fast, very smooth accelerations, never twitchy. You can set corner speeds for angles from 0,10,20,30-90 and 180 degrees. I have been able to achieve 40000mm/min while doing G1 with it. http://www.motion-solutions.com.au/Moti ... tware.html
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

chicoxiba:

Thx for that, I had forgotten that thread. :)

Its funny all these years later that I'm hitting that point again.. I think 3d code under
tempest will be slow at times, (though much faster than the old tempest..), and I think
I have to start adding a curve processor soon to attempt what the thread speaks of.

My understanding of curve control wasn't as good back then, and so perhaps
its possible to allow for a mode where incoming GCode data is used as control point entry
to the processor to create a polynomial path of motion that could indeed run at full speed.
The only real prerequisite to doing that is to know you will start at speed 0 and end at speed 0.
  While Id hate to try that on a stepper, servo's are superior at following and maintaining
their own limits of acceleration and speed..

The entire point of Auggie is as an experimental platform, so that kind of thing fits in
well.

One can exemplify the problem well with the 1mmSpiral file which is really a raster file
for my laser to burn in circular spirals. My table is now capable of 30m per minute. It runs
the spiral slowly at first, gathering speed till it end on tight circles of 5" or so at about
11meters/min.  The real hold up is that accel may only be performed in a line, blends must
be entered at zero accel no matter what. Its the only thing that holds tempests' speed down,
otherwise it would show no upper limit in speed. So a bezier mode which implies blending
without blends, ( as all the motion is one entity,) would make it very fast indeed. I have
a few idea's on this and I "think" I could make it magnitudes faster..
Thats what Auggie is really all about, functional experimentation. BUT, I do need to finish control first, once people are moving about and having fun, Im more than willing to look at experimental phases of operation.

I started all this because I need a laser controller, M3 just doesn't do what I need in
that respect, and while I could have cajoled a hardware provider into giving me capability,
( Actually Pokeys were GREAT in that respect by working to give me a spec on PWM
that gives Auggie real time PWM capability), I didn't feel I was in a position to ask for
experiments to be put into M4 for me to play in. M4 has to be reliable for their
customers.

Auggie has no need of reliability, each user can determine for themselves the
reliability level they want, use M3 and M4 as their primary system, ( Pokeys
works on both) and join us with Auggie when they are persons such as yourself
who like to play in concepts for such things.

So I too, would like to see a planner that perhaps can switch on the fly when it
detects the need, to allows a language modification to perform such things. When
I read the specs on the software in your link, well, that's pretty much what I'm
aiming for, plus making the scripting interface easy enough that people
feel they can play.

I don't see Auggie competing with any controller out there commercially, but its Free,
its Powerful and empowering to the user, and I don't see why we cant get at least a core group of
us who like to play with motors and experiment with various forms of control. Perhaps
such things can be ported to other controllers or .. at a minimum we can impress the
community out there with functional capabilities.

So yeah, stick around, play with the new tempest, I suspect you'll find its still limited
for what you need, though I can run your surfboard files at 17m/min max, I think we
can probably get them to 30m/m eventually. Maybe.. Possibly.. :)

Art

chicoxiba
Old Timer

Post by chicoxiba »

Art,

Sounds good with the preprocessing of the points and fitting a curve to them. May the force be with it :)

>>"The only real prerequisite to doing that is to know you will start at speed 0 and end at speed 0.
  While Id hate to try that on a stepper, servo's are superior at following and maintaining
their own limits of acceleration and speed.."

Id be happy with starting from zero sp and coming to a full stop at the end of the curvilinear moves, specially with scurve decel :o) and also I'd love to try it on steppers;

Take your time Art, have fun, finish what you want to finish first. ...btw I love the way mach4 has a responsive screen with high refresh rate and the new openGL toolpath display. Hey and if you could, let us add transparent objects on top of the toolpath display... just saying :P

Regards,
F

Thanks for the interest,
Francisco
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

F:

>>.btw I love the way mach4 has a responsiv e screen with high refresh rate and the new openGL toolpath display. Hey and if you could, let us add transpare nt objects on top of the toolpath display.. . just saying

I should point out, many people are still unaware, that I left Mach3's development almost a decade ago, and Im not involved in Mach4 in any way except as a plugin developer of Darwin for the printer port. But Im sure the M4 guys will hear the
compliment. :)

Art