Status Update - Auggie and Printer port Machines

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Status Update - Auggie and Printer port Machines

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Sorry for lack of Auggie reports lately. Yesterday I spent the day running Vector line runs by laser
rather than the raster image runs in last video. Using it this way forces me to find bugs that may affect
various G codes. Several things were fixed.

As of next release the fixes will be in, so the way G codes now work is

If Auggie sees a GCode it doesn't recognize, like G78.. it looks for a script named G78() , if one
exists, the script is called, if not, no error is generated, and the program continues. This allows a designer
to specify what codes work, which ones stop the program as an error, and if you wish a G78 implementation,
it may be scripted to do as the designer wishes. This makes it more versatile, and allows for any program
errors to be better controlled.

The files I ran yesterday were from Vectric, and by end of day ran without trouble and very quickly.

Metric and Imperial are now in the program.  Ill do a video to explain, but when setting up
Auggie, as in Mach3, you set if your entries are in mm's or inches. Once setup you may use
G20 and G21, and may mix them in a program if your brave enough. On screen labels are
intelligent and display "mm" in metric and "inch" in Imperial to the right of the DRO's.

The "Cons", a new module in on the screen but in preperation, it is a File import/export/conversion
module. It will accept DXF or GCode to create "shape Files". Once created Shapes are saved in
the shapes folder for callup to use in burning , engraving, or even to repost as Gcode.

To explain the concept, imagine the roadrunner.tap file so many are familiar with, it has like
3 roadrunners in it. (But its scaled horribly for metric people ) and even in inch may be the wrong
size. With "Cons" , one can load Roadrunner.Tap in Auggie, and observe the 3 roadrunners in the tool path.
Entering Con and selecting Import GCode, will then open the full screen Cons editor. It will have 3 roadrunners
as objects on the screen. One could now drag a box over a single roadrunner to select it, move, scale and rotate
that roadrunner so its standing up instead of upside down as the GCode has it. , You will then be able to
repost as Gcode , and the Gcode will now show that change.

The Cons module will be fairly large when complete, and will do a great many things, it will be a center
of activity and workflow in auggie for artistic expression and to allow many interactions between a user and a shapes
library created by importing various flavours of files for cutting.  Its an ambitious thing to put in a cnc program,
but for beginners at least , will make it a one stop shop for artistic cnc when its done.

With Pokeys now releasing a USB->DB25 plug cable, a person with a printer port driven CNC machine will
now be able to convert to Auggie with no hardware or electronics changes. Just a new printer port cable
from Pokeys ( 79 EU), will convert most printer port machines in one step. And they can still run Mach3.
Thats an upgrade from 40K pulses per second to 115K in one shot. This may allow many more machine
users of Mach3 to experiment with Auggie over coming months now that machines can be converted
so easily.

Auggie has now surpassed Mach3 for my lasers capabilities, and Im pretty happy at its performance.
Ill be releasing more videos as the Cons starts doing its job, and I will then attempt a users guide and
programming manual for Auggie.

Just and update,and how I see the program progressing..
Art

GlennD
Old Timer

Re: Status Update - Auggie and Printer port Machines

Post by GlennD »

Art
Awesome work as always.
I have to rebuild my table it became a casualty of limited space and a falling shovel.
So I haven't got to actually do anything but move the Y axis.
The rebuild parts are do in next week.  Yea for a limited budget, customs and USPS. :)

Glenn
Need to redo the board to add in the 3.3 to 5 volt and some other changes but this my basic set up for electronics.
Mounting and wiring will get better.
Attachments
DSC_0088small.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Status Update - Auggie and Printer port Machines

Post by ArtF »

Glenn:

Looks good, by the time its moving, it should be bug free enough for what you need it to
do.  Like Mach3 was, it will be one of those ongoing projects at any rate.

Art