POKEYS FAILS TO COMMUNICATE WITH -10, DISCONNECTING..TRY AGAIN

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
swpax
Old Timer

Post by swpax »

Hello All,

New Auggie user here  :)

I have an issue the shows the Error message in the topic title.  I use a POKEYS57CNC.  I can jog the machine and run GCODE.  However when I try to fire the laser manually I get this error message:

Not sure what reference "-10" is.  Does anyone know?

I believe I have set everything correctly in the Engine/Planner Config for the laser.  However since the error is only present when I try to fire the laser, logic tells me one or more of those settings might be incorrect.

I can fire the laser with no issues using Mach4.  Just for reference I am using a diode laser, not sure if that matters due to the driver setup.  I fire the laser in Mach4 using spindle speed commands (Ex. S109).

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?  Thanks a bunch!  Hope everyone is staying safe and health.

Scott
swpax
Old Timer

Re: POKEYS FAILS TO COMMUNICATE WITH -10, DISCONNECTING..TRY AGAIN

Post by swpax »

Actually I get the communication failure when I fire the M3 command to activate the laser.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

A communications error usually indicates a slow connection or loss of connection.
Im suspecting your laser begins to fire and the power supply or something is creating too much noise,
connection gets lost. Usually, if its simply poor connection you will get an error during motion
or the motion gets very jerks and noisy.

If the laser works under Mach3 or 4, then it cant be noise doing it, I wouldn't think.. in
this case Id double check the PWM channel used in the scripts as the defaults, but I cant think
that would create a com's error.

Let me know how and when this occurs, if it happens every time and such... we'll go from there..

Art
swpax
Old Timer

Post by swpax »

Thanks Art.

It is less frequent now.  Seems to happen on Estop or Stop.  Can't quite place the reason. 

I also seem something weird when I jog.  Sometimes when I jog X-- the machine just keeps moving even though I haven't asked it to.  It then crashes into the endstop / homing switch and the motor doesn't stop. 

Aside from that I am doing some laser (diode laser) testing now.  Seems weird as I need to put my maximum PWM Output to 35 to get fairly representative burn.  I am burning an image.

I would like to say though this is fantastic!  I've been looking for this kind of machine / laser control for a while.  I am running at 2400mm/min and the machine is running super smooth.  Thank you very much for this software.  I can somewhat appreciate the amount of work it goes into producing the software.  I started programming controller software when I was running a TinyG because I didn't have everything I needed in software that I could use.  Water under the bridge now as I am running a POKEYS57CNC.

Can I make a monetary donation?

Best regards,

Scott
swpax
Old Timer

Post by swpax »

Thought I'd show some progress.  I need to do some tuning work for the burn on the low side but not bad for a 3rd try after some testing / tweaking.  I used some maple veneer plywood I had laying around.
Attachments
first_wolf_burn.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Scott:

>>It is less frequent now.  Seems to happen on Estop or Stop.  Can't quite place the reason

I know at one point I used a network tracing tool to find a routine that was locking up my network for a
few ms every once in a while. mine hasn't disconnected since.

>>I also seem something weird when I jog.  Sometimes when I jog X-- the machine just keeps moving even though I haven't asked it to.  It then crashes into the endstop / homing switch and the motor doesn't stop.

Be careful with this one. I find on mine its a screen thing and I  have it on my list to tighten that
up. If you use keyboard shortcuts it doesn't seem to happen, at least not here. I'm suspecting
the screen is such a busy thread that I'm losing mouse motion.. still searching. Its definitely to my mind
the biggest shortcoming of Auggie motion. Make sure as well that Network delay in Auggies Planner
settings is set to 0. It was only for usb that that setting was originally used.  

>> Seems weird as I need to put my maximum PWM Output to 35 to get fairly representative burn.  I am burning an image.

Non linearity of the max laser output is normal when one considers a few things about what's going on..

Auggie senses the motion speed every ms, and it adjust laser power based on that speed. This means
the requested feedrate is very important. If for example, you command F2400 and the max speed reached is actually 2000, you will never get to the 35% you might have set as max. This is because power output uses the formula

outputPower = CommandedPower *  (actualFeedrate / commandedFeedrate);

So if your run only reaches 2000 and never the 2400 commanded, the max you get from a 35% setting
is 35 * 2000/2400 = 29%

This is done to keep acceleration zones and slowdowns from affecting your linearity of output.
But it means to truly know the power used, you must ensure the feedrate commanded is not too
high for it to actually reach. It isnt perfect as nonlinearities exist in the acceleration vs power curve,
but this really helps to make very fine engravings and photos.

>>I am running at 2400mm/min and the machine is running super smooth.  Thank you very
much for this software.  I can somewhat appreciate the amount of work it goes into producing the software.  

Thanks, its a common comment, smoothness is much higher than normally possible while burning images and
such when using cnc as the control method.  Tuning for the correct Jerk limit can be tough, but Auggie is
pretty forgiving and will usually run well anyway. If you ever see it stutter on code, increase the lookahead
and the JerkLimit. It will stop any jerking. I run mine at 12,600mm/min typically..  When running point to point
cutting like normal cnc, I raise the jerk limit to stop any stuttering that may occur.

>>Can I make a monetary donation?

Thanks, no. I wrote Auggie for myself and one other user here. (YaNvrNo). I released it in hope
there were others brave enough to work through the lack of documentation and interested
enough to figure out ways to use it. I'm shocked, but pleased, to be honest at how many have.

Just keep in mind its all very experimental, its timing is impossibly complex and I really dont
know what I was thinking when I attached the scripting in there. Complex is an understatement,
it makes Mach3 look like a crossword puzzle in there. I continue to work on it periodically
when I need a function, and recent posts will show changes one person made to make it run
normal CNC with a spindle..

Im forgetting much of it I find, as to the internals. With 2  4-axis 6th order planners trying
to get along together with the pokeys engine connection as well, that isnt ideal. :) .
So use caution in trying new things, and recognize its buggy faults such as jogging from
a button.

Hopefully, Ill find the bad jogging button response soon.. :)

Art

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Looking good. :)

Art
swpax
Old Timer

Post by swpax »

Thanks for the info.

Makes a bit more sense now as I set the feedrate to 200% as I wasn't happy with the speed.  I'll make adjustments accordingly.

I connect to the POKEYS57CNC with a network cable, just FYI.