Gecko 540 with Mach3

Any questions related to machine operation
marklazarz
Old Timer

Gecko 540 with Mach3

Post by marklazarz »

I recently replaced a Chinese control box to a Gecko 540 control for my CNC router.  I shielded all control wires and the spindle wire in the process because I'm fighting a noise issue.  My motion control issues have been rectified but I occasionally get a fault on the Gecko that does not trigger the E-stop switch so Mach3 continues on it's merry way even though the machine is not moving.  This creates a major problem because it's hard to recover when the machine and DRO's don't match.  The Gecko 540 manual says pin #15 is used for FAULT (Input to PC).  Does anyone know how to use this signal to stop Mach3 at the point of the fault?

Thanks,

Mark
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Re: Gecko 540 with Mach3

Post by Dan Mauch »

DB25 Pin 15 of the G540 is connected to pin 15 of the parallel port.
In Mach3 config>port and Pins> Inputs scroll down to ESTOP. There should be Green check mark on Enable then port 1 and pin 15 with a red X mark on low active.
When I was in business I have built hundreds of those G540's They are great Much better than the chinese stuff. On my systems that I use to build I added a wire from terminal 10(Disable/Estop) to a SPST switch the other side of the switch is then tied to Ground. With that switch you can manually reposition your motors. In the connected side of the switch the motor are engergized and if you have a fault or you fip the switch off you will be the estop and your motors and mach3 will stop.

Dan Mauch

marklazarz wrote: I recently replaced a Chinese control box to a Gecko 540 control for my CNC router.  I shielded all control wires and the spindle wire in the process because I'm fighting a noise issue.  My motion control issues have been rectified but I occasionally get a fault on the Gecko that does not trigger the E-stop switch so Mach3 continues on it's merry way even though the machine is not moving.  This creates a major problem because it's hard to recover when the machine and DRO's don't match.  The Gecko 540 manual says pin #15 is used for FAULT (Input to PC).  Does anyone know how to use this signal to stop Mach3 at the point of the fault?

Thanks,

Mark
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

Dan Mauch wrote:  DB25 Pin 15 of the G540 is connected to pin 15 of the parallel port.

Dan Mauch
Thanks Dan, that did it.  I missed that in my configuration.

I'm not getting the "manually re-position your motors" concept.  Are you saying that you can jog the motors to a new position without the DRO's changing values?

Mark
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Post by Dan Mauch »

A lot of guys use dual shaft motors and with the output to the motors disengaged you can manual move the motors to where you want to start and then engage the outputs to the motors.
Dan Mauch