Hello And Greetings And All That -- K40 Laser And Gearotic Question

Useful information on experiences with Lasers
Brian1

Hello And Greetings And All That -- K40 Laser And Gearotic Question

Post by Brian1 »

Hello, group!    My name is Max McGrumpy.  I run a hobby group on Facebook,  and I asked Art if I could take Gearotic for a test drive.

My primary interest was using it to generate STL files for 3D printing,  and I'll be dabbling with that shortly.  In the meantime I had a request for laser cut wooden gears from my K40.    The goal is to use those wood cutouts as casting patterns,  the end use is a steam-punk hobby group.  The gears will be light-duty "non-functional" prop parts cast out of aluminum.     

What is the easiest/simplest way to generate an output that the K40 can use?  I have that horrific LaserDrw nightmare that it ships with as well as Scorchwork's K40 Whisperer software. 

If anyone has some insight or experience using those programs to cut using Gearotic's output I would appreciate the insight...    Upgrading the laser is not in the cards for the time being due to budget reasons.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hello And Greetings And All That -- K40 Laser And Gearotic Question

Post by ArtF »

Hi Max:

Probably just the raw DXF's for the K40. After generating a gear onto the project screen,
just hit the DXF button for output, and select the gear you need in the project tree. Hit
output and youll be asked for a project name if you dont have one set.. the file will appear
in C:\Gearotic Thoughts\GearData\YourProjectName\*.dxf

I usually print at 98% scale.. allows some backlash in case you neglected to add some in.

If you get lost, do a web search, this forum has almost every question possible asked somewhere..
and if all else fails, or your too lazy to search.. ask. :)

Art
Brian1

Re: Hello And Greetings And All That -- K40 Laser And Gearotic Question

Post by Brian1 »

ArtF wrote: Hi Max:

[glow=red,2,300]...or your too lazy to search.. ask. :)[/glow]

Art
Yep, that's me!  ;D

I prefer asking anyway because the organic meat-problems between the chair and keyboard often consider things I don't.  If I ask a meat-wad a question I'll most likely get "and another thing...." whereas a Google search will answer only the question I ask.  If I don't phrase it right I may not get ALL the information I need.