Defaults

A Spot for User Mechs and Kinematic discussions
Stojan
Old Timer

Defaults

Post by Stojan »

Hey G'day,

Just got some time to have a sit and look at your kinematics module.

A few questions please,

Are you perhaps going to at some stage develop a gizmo so you can quickly go to say X or Y view?
It took me several minutes to work out that zoom to table was your actual reset to default view. Y/X
I just moused over it without clicking not thinking it was what I was looking for after moving the display to an awkward angle :)
Do you have a list of shortcuts if any?

Otherwise totally impressed..!!

Cheers,
Steve

Cheers,
Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Defaults

Post by ArtF »

Hi Steve:

A double-click is about the only shortcut I think, and it takes you to whatever zoom type
is currently selected, Work ( selected object(s) ), AllObjects, or table mode. (Size of table is in options.).

>>Otherwise totally impressed ..!!

Thx,  The kinematics was a test of concept, I liked it enough to start a new program to do it.
The CAD portion is in production, its a slow process though to make a cad program thats friendly
and easy to operate, so it will be a few months yet. Then , when cad is done, it will have kinematics
added to it. At that point the current kinematics modules will be removed from Auggie as its
really meant as a cnc controller. The new Program "Vexx" will try to tie it all together. :), we'll
see how that works out in the fall I suspect.

Thx
Art
Stojan
Old Timer

Post by Stojan »

ArtF wrote: Hi Steve:

A double-click is about the only shortcut I think, and it takes you to whatever zoom type
is currently selected, Work ( selected object(s) ), AllObjects, or table mode. (Size of table is in options.).

>>Otherwise totally impressed ..!!

Thx,  The kinematics was a test of concept, I liked it enough to start a new program to do it.
The CAD portion is in production, its a slow process though to make a cad program thats friendly
and easy to operate, so it will be a few months yet. Then , when cad is done, it will have kinematics
added to it. At that point the current kinematics modules will be removed from Auggie as its
really meant as a cnc controller. The new Program "Vexx" will try to tie it all together. :), we'll
see how that works out in the fall I suspect.

Thx
Art
Art, you do realise we live only one life.... don't forget to live some of it and get away from that keyboard. :P
Thank you for the road map as well, I look forward to seeing how far you will push it.

As a by the by, do you have a schematic for an Orrery train?? That's my big wishlist.. Its almost like creating a clock.

Regards and avagreatday and many thanks for a fantastic and continuously evolving program.
Steve

(I think the Buddhists would slot you to come back as the BackSpace Key)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Steve:

Thx, I am trying to slow my coding to mix in some life as well. :)

As to the orrery, I dont have anything written  on one, but in reality its a series of small
gear trains joined together. If you check the gear traikn module it lists many of the ratios,
rotation of the moon etc..
  Orrery's are a challenge.. not the gearing so much as the fitting all of them into a package.

(If you build one.. show us! :) )

Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Guys,
If you go to  lisaboyer.com you'll find two orreries available. 

One is Ferguson's Mechanical Paradox Orrery which focuses on the moon, predicting its phases and incorporating the Zodiac.

The second is The Capernican Planetary Orrery which rotates the known planets of his time. It involves "nested" brass tubes in order to achieve a central point of rotation. 

I have built both of these Orreries and they are not difficult builds.  Since our universe tends to "jiggle" a little bit these orreries have some simplifications in them.

Hope you have as much fun as I did

1% inspiration 99% try, try again
Stojan
Old Timer

Post by Stojan »

Hey John, and Art,

I've seen those Lisa Boyer ones a while ago, and I've also built a psudo brass one as well. Took a while to get all the components and put the alleged  Brass Orrery together. I say alleged because many of the so called Brass Pieces are probably iron of some sort - unfortunately many people have been duped by the "Brass Orrery" title. My magnet would beg to differ, unfortunately a couple of the larger gears are not brass as well.

But from a distance it looks ok and only I and whoever reads this post knows otherwise.
See attached pic.. (Art you did say if I build one to show a pic) :)

More the point being if one could design an Orrery with Gearotic and make your own creation. There aren't really too many rules governing how you end up rotating the planets and due to scale we will never get them to be 100% accurate the fun is in the build and design.

But think of the satisfaction if you could design one, animate it before building it and then Have At It. One of the nicest Orrery's I have seen recently is the Sanderson Orrery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgyXY3vPd4

John would love to see what your orrery's turned out like and if you have any other links for wooden orrery plans that would be fantastic.

Art I apologise for posting here If you care to move the thread elsewhere..
Art how much involvement would there be to have a module to create orrery's in Gearotic? Or could we build one now with what is there?

I did come across a link where someone had made an orrery using Gearotic. I can't open it in Gearotic for whatever reason. The file is attached and the link with who designed it is here..http://zeamon.com/wordpress/?page_id=468 he has built a really nice orrery and does give video and well as pdf instruction as to how he went about it.

Unfortunately nothing about how he designed it with Gearotic, so I don't know if it is just a layout or functional model. Maybe someone could let me know if they can run the Gearotic file.

Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
Orrery.jpg
OrreryGearLayout.zip
(607.56 KiB) Downloaded 316 times