Running the Kinematics Simulation

A Spot for User Mechs and Kinematic discussions
XusmX
Old Timer

Running the Kinematics Simulation

Post by XusmX »

I am new and have installed Gearotic 3. I am having a problem finding/loading the Kinematics Simulation. Can someone tell me how to find and start this application? 
XusmX
Old Timer

Re: Running the Kinematics Simulation

Post by XusmX »

I found the instructions in the comments in one of the YouTube videos.

"Kinematics is inside Auggie. You can run it by modifying your properties so that Auggie is run with -con as a parameter. (Or run Auggie and press the CON buttton on the cnc screen.). Vexx doesnt yet have any kinematics.?"
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

No, sorry, although I started Vexx to make kinematics better, I havent yet
gotten to a spot where Im ready to add them. Vexx is still building its capabilities
until I reach a bit further at which time Ill start adding kinematics with a better interface.

Thx
Art
JWoodford
Old Timer

Post by JWoodford »

First time poster here - not to bring up an old post, but I think this one is relevant to what I'm looking for.  I've done a lot of reading on the forum/new website/tutorial videos and starting playing around with the software this weekend to see if it can do what I'm really looking for...

I am digging the gear making aspect of gearotic, but I was wondering if there's a streamlined path to taking some of the ratchets, gear, etc., and combining them with some kinetic art shaped items to simulate the effects of gravity as a whole with those arms plus springs on the drive arms.  These are items I would be creating in another program like Solidworks or something so I am looking to import via DXF or otherwise.

I was able to do some funky testing in Auggie with the gravity, but I didn't see anything like that in Vexx.  Did I miss that somewhere?

In short, I am trying to virtually build some kinematic pieces from various sources (or I could draw the arms in Vexx if necessary) and see if I can simulate a run time/visual effect.

Or is what I'm looking to do just not something this software package is built for?  This seems to be the closest thing I've found so far that is made for kinematic simulations.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Jason:

Im afraid Vexx just isn't there yet. I havent added any physics engine code to it
and Im not sure when or if that will be done at this point. I keep adding toys to Vexx
over time , but Im not sure its methods for grouping are yet built up enough for
adding in the physics needed to do what Auggie does in its test engine.

It isnt a closed project though, I am actively still researching what exactly I can add
to the variety of software out there that would be a good fit for Vexx in terms
of simulation..

But as of now, Its likely not enough for accurate simulation, the best you can do is draw
up tests in Auggie that are simple enough for it to run... 

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Jason

Although Vexx has not evolved to include the physics portion of the Augie Simulator, that does not mean you can not create a fairly complicated simulation.  It takes hours of work, practice, and patience.

In the creation of my kinematic simulations I used a combination of gearotics<-->Vexx<-->Augie vector processor.

The "motion works" kinematic simulation involved taking a gearotics simulation of a clock's motion works that I had created a couple of years ago.&nbsp; I used Vexx to get the gears from the gearotics simulation to create a collection of appropriate DXF files which were then imported into the Augie vector processor. The gears were fixed to the background in the first kinematics model.&nbsp; A second model was created based on the first model except this time the motion works were attached to a moving frame that crawled along a toothed rack. This helped me learn the techniques needed to make a moving object.

My "walking man" kinematic simulation was based on lessons learned from the moving motion works model. The man's components were drawn using Vexx exported as DXF's and then imported into the Augie vector processor.

The "mech" feature of the Augie vector processor allows you to build/test components & then assemble a more complicated object by importing the mech files.

I decided to simulate pendulum clock as a learning experiment of how the vector processor simulates gravity ( " A combined gravity escapement / motion works" model).&nbsp; The gravity escapement was created using Vexx.&nbsp; Once the model was working correctly, I added in the motion works model.

These models were published mostly under the Mechs and Kinematics topic area of the forum.

Bill Michael