Unable to duplicate Spur gear example in Video Part 2.

BillM
Old Timer

Unable to duplicate Spur gear example in Video Part 2.

Post by BillM »

Art

I've been carefully studying your four intro youtube videos about the Ticker program. And decided I should be able to duplicate some of the examples that you demonstrate.

The very first example in Part 2, illustrates two spur gears . I have been unable to duplicate the examples demonstrated in the first 7 minutes of the video. I created two spur gears with module 2.0: a wheel with 20 teeth, and pinion with 10 teeth. I added a motor to the wheel and then tried to simulate the motion. Only the wheel turns and not the pinion. The teeth of the wheel pass through the teeth of the pinion. This is true whether or not the simulation option of Collisions active is selected or not.

What's interesting is that the video shows Wall gravity on and gravity on, collisions not enabled and yet the Wheel drives the pinion. As I followed the video up to minute 7, I did notice that the gears in the video had position locks turned on. I tried the case where I unlocked the position of the pinion and started the simulation. Rather than swinging down as in the video, my pinion simply dropped off the screen.

Somewhere in your Ticker program playlist you did mention that if objects had Position Lock turned on they would not collide even if global Collisions Active selection and Ignore Collisions is not selected in the objects. I've tried creating a link between the two gears and various combination of options on the gears and link. Nothing I've tried gets the gears to behave like the gears in the video.

I do plan other tests. Is there anything I can do or print out that would help with this problem?

Bill Michael

My computer is Dell 7506 2n1 running Windows 10.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Unable to duplicate Spur gear example in Video Part 2.

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bill:

It sounds as if you placed the pinion on the gear by placing it in a position. To link two gears together they must be
placed by selecting the first gear and rolling the pinion on it till its placed. Did you do it that way, or by positioning it by eye
to be in the right spot?

Let me know how it was done, if necessary I will create a video short explaining that mechanic, I may have skipped
over it in the video. While timing pulleys may be placed arbitrarily as they will be "linked" by the link button, gears
other than pulleys must be connected in the placement stage by selecting the master gear to mate the incoming gear to.

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

You are right, I aligned the pinion by eye. I had requested the program to create a gear pair. After the first gear was placed I aligned the pinion by eye. After reading your comment I did select the wheel when the pinion was in positioning mode. I was able to correctly place the pinion and the gear pair worked just like the video.

Thanks for the hint.

Bill Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

No problem. As I said in the video I suffer from a bias caused by using the program for over a year. Much of what I
consider intuitive is learned bias from having it come easy from having written it as things upset me. Ticker was
created blank and each time I got too upset or felt something was too clunky I simply rewrote it to work the way
I expected it to. Any misunderstanding is simply me not explaining it properly in the video's. I will do more video's
as we go forward and people get confused. Hopefully, we'll get your belts working shortly for you and things will
start to appear more like the video's.

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

I know what you mean about being too close to a program. Many interactions with a program becomes part of muscle memory of how to select things and often how not to interact with a program. Key clicks to select objects can occur so fast that the casual viewer might miss the sequence used to select or move items.

In the case of spur gears, I had not used Gearotics for such a long time that I forgot the sequence of how to position gears. I relearned the sequence of mouse clicks to position a gear only after creating a gear pair in Gearotics.

One of my bad habits is to use the ESC key or CNTRL-X to exit from UI forms. When I did that in the Spur Gears menu it locked out my cursor from within the Ticker window. I had to resort to other methods to quit from the program. It's virtually impossible to idiot proof a program against unforeseen user interactions with a program.

I will continue to experiment with the other design options of the Ticker program. I've got a few ideas to try similar to what I tried with the Augie simulator awhile ago. The Denison gravity escapement will be a real challenge.

Bill Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

I had it in mind to try on of those myself.

It would be an interesting experiment... does sound doable though..

Art