import into fusion360

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: import into fusion360

Post by ArtF »

Im kinda surprised any program has a problem with the file size.. its not that many points that any trouble should be seen, Vectric could probably load dozens of them at once. Ive tested the posted files, they seem fine. I want quite following the full
thread about fusion, did they do an update that seems to have fixed it?

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

they did a update that made it better it's far from fixed, vectric yer those file no problems I still have to use V carve pro to do some stuff, if you are a wood worker Fusion 360 is ok, but you need something like V carve pro as well, metal work fusion 360 good.

Fusion 360 is on it's 2nd year of a 20 year cycle they expect it to be finished in 18 years.

that's why if you have fusion you get to use other programs for free, when you have the .dxf bit in Auggie when it'sworking I will be use that
hmohara
Old Timer

Post by hmohara »

Dealing with a gear in Fusion 360 is just to slow to be a productive tool.  I was hoping to develop a whole clock in fusion 360.  I could wait a day between moves.

Not good!

Michael O
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

if you convert them to dwg it's not so bad the other way to do it is you do a press pull. then start a new component do a projection of the gear body this gives you a .f3d sketch then you delete the original sketch and body then redefine the sketch and it good to go, you would have to do this with every gears and part you import as a dxf.

the only other way is to get the new AMD gaming graphics card, it's to do with the graphics driver type some are just bad even if they are 2 or more gig, when you get a graphics card you get a gaming one they are the same as work station ones at 1/3 the prices and support.
hmohara
Old Timer

Post by hmohara »

I actually did exactly what you suggested, still very very slow.

My graphic card is a gaming card, it'd a GeForce 680???

Michael O
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

nothing wrong with that card are the drivers up to date.

I found the last file you posted ok can you post a new one and let me know what units it is in. I will see if I can work out a way for you to do it in fusion, it may be a no go.

I am not sure what type the .dxf from gearotic are there are many different types year by year also fusion does not like lots of sort lines, if the files has lots of sort lines it will be a year or 2 until they are usable, this is why I still use V carve pro.

you can make up the clocks in gearotic
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>> if the files has lots of sort lines it will be a year or 2 until they are usable

lol, thats the odd thing..all Gearotics lines are already in order, sorted and chained to make
c1 continuous contours... no sorting needed..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

it don't like those Art, I tested a file from V carve pro exported out as a dxf with arcs, it brought it to it's knees, same with lots of short lines.

it's something for them to sort it will be years fusion is only 2 years old the only way to get them to work is convert them to dwg using Autocad 360 then doing the work around.

you will beat them to it with the drawing bit you are adding to Auggie what I need to get my arise into gear and fine tune everything it is working very well now
hmohara
Old Timer

Post by hmohara »

It is starting to appear to me that we the users are in fact beta testing Fusion 360.  Making suggestions and finding problems.  I'm not sure that is want I signed up for
or wanted.  I have consumed a lot of time trying to make Fusion 360 work for me. Gearotic does a great job producing very actuate gears but to move it into Fusion 360 to modify it to be a spring barrel just isn't working.  Any suggestions of another software that will work with Gearotic gears?

Michael O
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

yes and no on a design done in fusion it's ok up to a size limit, on imported .dxf, .dwg it's getting there, on solids getting there direct modeling good as gold. stl nar it's bad. it's only 2 years old so anything other than a fusion native file it will be ruff for a few year's.

depending on what you wont to do $300 to $30000
Last edited by DanL on Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Im a vectric fan myself.. Never lets me down..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

+1 on that
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

I've just done a test and found a 2D DXF from Gearotic will load into CamBam nice and fast. Only problem is that the default line colour in the import equals the default background colour in CamBam so one or other has to be changed. each polyline of the DXF is available to machine separately and additional objects can be added in CamBam to add your barrel or, say, a fork to the pallet of an escapement.

CamBam allows 40 fully functional evaluation sessions before you have to buy it ($149US) and is a firm favourite with the camera motion control equipment builders over on the Timescapes.org forum. You can even buy it bundled with Mach 3!

Like gearotic it's a buy-once-get-updates-forever licence.

http://www.cambam.info/

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>Like gearotic it's a buy-once-get-updates-forever licence.

A policy I soooo agree with. :)

Art
hmohara
Old Timer

Post by hmohara »

With the problem of importing a DXF file into Fusion 360 I was wondering if it would be possible for Gearotic to be revised to allow saving the gears in one of the formats that Fusion 360 supports directly.
These are - IGES; SAT; SMY and STEP.

Thank you,

Michael