Grasshopper Escapement Simulation

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
marklazarz
Old Timer

Grasshopper Escapement Simulation

Post by marklazarz »

I'm running a Windows 10 machine with all the latest graphic drivers, etc.  The grasshopper simulation is funky in that the right pallet doesn't stop on a tooth, it sort of jumps half way to the next tooth after making contact.  When I changed some parameters then reset to defaults, not all the parameters are reset so I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening.  Please check at your convenience.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grasshopper Escapement Simulation

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mark:

Thx, I hadn't noticed that bug, I must have introduced it in another fix.. Ill schedule a repair..

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Hi Mark

I tried creating a default grasshopper escapement.  I've tested it on a Windows10 system, Gearotics2.3015

I did not experience the problem you noted.  Both pallets appear to stop on escape wheel teeth and the simulation runs smoothly.

The attached jpg's show the Default Grasshopper specs, and the other two managed to catch the left and right pallets engaged with the appropriate teeth of the escape wheel.

Bill
Attachments
GrassHopper2.jpg
GrassHopper1.jpg
DefaultGrassHopper.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bill:

Preliminary check shows it works fine, until you press reset to defaults, then it starts to act up. If restarted , the program is fine again, until reset to defaults is again used.

On my repair list. :)

Art
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

Thanks guys.  I noticed that it seemed to be an intermittent problem as well but didn't connect the reset to it's acting up.  Same with the time delay when invoking the Pendulum Calc dialog.  Sometimes it pops up instantly, some times there is a considerable delay, in fact over 10 seconds.
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Art,
I'm seeing the same problem, both on my W10 laptop and W7 desktop machines. All seems well until I change the tip angle. This will upset the simulation as Mark has described. It seems too intermittent to find and exact cause but I have seen the simulation work correctly in 'project' but not in 'tools'. Saving the project, restarting GM and reloading the project (tested on the W7 machine) does not fix the problem.

However: Simply closing down GM and reopening it, then selecting 'Grasshopper' will open an escapement with the same settings I had set before closing it. This will simulate correctly in both 'tools' and 'project'.

Hopefully this will cast some light on the source of the problem.

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kit:

Yes, some angle is getting hosed.. I have it on my list for correction soon..

Art
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

Just wanted to re-visit this topic to keep it fresh.  I know that Art will begin programming again after his summer hiatus and I didn't want this to be forgotten.  Thanks.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks for the reminder Mark.. Im preparing for a release of the "What I did this summer" version :), so I will look
deeper into this one to see what angle I was disturbing..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Mark:

I have corrected and verified the fix for this problem, will be in the next release.

Thx
Art
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

Much appreciated Art!  I have taken a break from my clock/gear/kinetic art interests this summer and am looking forward to getting back in my workshop.  You hinted at expanding the grasshopper escapement offerings in the future.  Something like these would be awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBWJC0HYRE  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGGflJd71I.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hjYpUGpv4g.  The ability to run simulations in Gearotic truly help with designing something that will be aesthetically pleasing.  I think a twin pivot grasshopper on a large diameter ratchet geared so it runs a day would look beautiful on a wall all by itself without necessarily setting the beat for a clock.

Mark