Set Cone Pitch of Straight Bevels

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
dbedwards
Old Timer

Set Cone Pitch of Straight Bevels

Post by dbedwards »

I would like to use predetermined value for the cone pitches with different sized straight bevels. When I do change the values, they seemingly go back to some calculated number when adding the gears or on ReGen.

I would like to use 45 degrees on both cones and 90 degrees on the shaft when I have gears of different teeth/diameter. Instead, the generated bevel wheel uses very shallow cone angle and the smaller pinion uses a very steep cone. I believe it is physically possible to make these bevels as long as the face width doesnt extend beyond the imaginary cone surface.

Can I achieve this?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Set Cone Pitch of Straight Bevels

Post by ArtF »

Hmm, Id have to consider it but I dont think thats possible. As the ratio of two bevels goes off of 1:1, the cones diverge from 45 degrees
up or down depending on ratio of diameter. You can keep a shaft angle of 90 degrees.. just set shaft angle to 90 and keep it there, but I dont think its mathematically possible to make two cones roll on 45 degree angles without being a 1:1 ratio of teeth..

Art

dbedwards
Old Timer

Re: Set Cone Pitch of Straight Bevels

Post by dbedwards »

Thank you. I think I understand this better now. I found a Bevel Gear Schematic on Wikipedia showing how the cones have to converge.