Program or Me

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Bob B
Old Timer

Program or Me

Post by Bob B »

New guy here:
I'm a woodturner not a gear guy but have always been fascinated with wooden clocks, so here I am.
Trying to get my head wrapped around Gearotic Motion, I figured it would be good to start with something that is pretty well documented here, so I'm starting with Scimitar, minimum number of parts, everything is documented with files and a video by Art.  Sounds like a easy place to start, right?

I'm running into a snag right away with the Chrono Dead Beat Ratchet.
In the video Art has it set up in metric (I'm not a real metric guy, but we'll follow along to stay consistant).
Everything seems fine until I get to Pallet Shaft, Art has 15.4 (.606") but the arm seems out of proportion, picture, if I change it to 6.35 I get what appears to be a .25" hole and back to what looks like proper proposition.

But also notice in both picture that the ratchet gear shows no hole, until I switch to inches then the hole appears in the ratchet.

Also, I get metric to inches conversion in the diameter for the ratchet, but not the Pallet Shaft
Now leaving it 6.35 I change to inches.

Thoughts
Attachments
Untitled.png
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Program or Me

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bob:

>>n the video Art has it set up in metric (I'm not a real metric guy, but we'll follow along to stay consistan t).
Everythin g seems fine until I get to Pallet Shaft, Art has 15.4 (.606") but the arm seems out of proportio n, picture, if I change it to 6.35 I get what appears to be a .25" hole and back to what looks like proper proposition.

>> Looks to me like 6.35 is the way to go, the video may be wrong as I may not have pressed regen in the scene. Trying it here, it looks like your fine at 6.35

But also notice in both picture that the ratchet gear shows no hole, until I switch to inches then the hole appears in the ratchet.

>> The setting of Shaft Diam up top sets that shaftr hole size.  Its one of the problems when switching is the shaft diamter doesnt swap. It doent affect most as usually one uses inches or mm's, rarely switching.

I just tried what your attempting, I think your good in your assumptions. The program will
adjust everything to try to ensure it all works OK. Its a forgiving type of design. Just make sure you simulate it and check that everything appears logical and correct.

Yell if anything looks funny or youd like to confirm its good.

Art

Also, I get metric to inches conversio n in the diameter for the ratchet, but not the Pallet Shaft