Output Manager crashes when generating 2D dxf

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
epicycloid
Old Timer

Re: Output Manager crashes when generating 2D dxf

Post by epicycloid »

(P.S. After my original posting I realized how far out of date my version is/was... I've moved to 4.890 and testing there now.)

In 4.710 I have been having a lot of crashes when generating 2D dxf's as well. I haven't been able to nail down something specifically re-producible, but it might be file system related.

One thing that might be file system related, that creates plenty of unexpected behavior...

I accidentally named a second gear the same name as an existing gear (e.g. GT2-5-110T), and that caused all sorts of havoc. There was no way to select the second gear of the same name in the project list, and deleting would delete anything from the first same-named gear down the train. I've played around with simple projects now, with multiple gears of the same name, and the output manager just seems to output the first gear, although it highlights them both/all.

Definitely some weird behaviors if you inadvertently make the naming mistake. I haven't found a way to recover from it, other than starting over. I thought the naming issues might have been the root of some of my crashes, hence the testing of it, but it seems only tangentially related to the 2D dxf crashes I'm experiencing.

--Jon

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
epicycloid
Old Timer

Post by epicycloid »

Ok, same crash on outputting 2D dxf files... I still can't find a way to reproduce the crash consistently, but it is definitely still happening in 4.890 on my Win7 machine.

Attached is my project file with 14 GT2-5 pulleys of various sizes (10T to 150T). If I start by selecting one pulley, then click Output Manager, leave the default "Rounded Corners" checked, and only click 2D DXF, then Create Output, then repeat with each pulley, most times it crashes by the time I create the 10th or 11th pulley.

On the last crash it wrote the "-Params" file before crashing, but crashed before writing the .dxf or -Comped.dxf.

Not sure if that's any help or not.

--Jon
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thx Jon:

Ill give it a try..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

I cant get this project to fail for me, but it may be related to tool diameter. Im suspecting the automatically made comp files may be creating the trouble if the tool diameter is such that a compensated dxf becomes a problem for some reason related to offset.
Still looking ,
Thx
Art
Carlos Azevedo
Old Timer

Post by Carlos Azevedo »

I apologize for not posting this sooner. One more note: due to incorrect positioning of the gears (on my part) I've aborted the placement of several gears so their numbering is not consecutive. Not sure if its a factor on the crash.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Carlos:

No, that should have no factor in it. Still looking, I just cant get it to crash here as yet..

Art