Knurling

For suggestions for future additions
JohnHaine
Old Timer

Knurling

Post by JohnHaine »

People usually knurl on a lathe with knurling wheels. If you have a rotary axis though very nice knurls can be engraved. I've written a little Python wizard to do this (happy to share) but since knurling is related to making helical gears it could be a nice future feature perhaps?

My wizard is designed to require only unidirectional motion of the rotary axis, and with some minimal restrictions on the length and pitch of knurl uses one continuous cut to go right round the workpiece without needing any re-positioning.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Knurling

Post by ArtF »

You know, I have never knurled.. I imagine there is a lot more to
know about it than I think. Educate me, are there any interesting
links I should read.?

Art
JohnHaine
Old Timer

Post by JohnHaine »

This is about my code on the Mach3 help forum:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index ... #msg288673

It has a couple of photos of finished knurls.

There's loads of stuff on the web about lathe knurling, as well as the knurling "rolls" it needs a very rigid lathe to make a good job. Engraved knurls on the mill with an A axis can be much superior I think, though they take longer.

Of course there's a lot of other decorative stuff one could do, such as patterns around pen barrels, text engraving on a cylinder, and so on. Knurls are useful for grip and can look quite nice.
Hessel Oosten
Old Timer

Post by Hessel Oosten »

John,

Thanks for posting this !
It inspired me to install Python and to try your program: Generating code is easy and simple.
Have to try this on my A-axis of course, but this start is right and promising.
//
The well known "pressing" knurl tools are, as you wrote, not toooo... good for the small hobby-lathe.
This, of course, can be minimized by using a knurling tool which gives pressure from -2- sides.
Even better is to use a knurling wheel which is not pressing but cutting !
Such a cutting wheel is commercially available and the toolholder can be self-made from e.g. a simple square steel bar.
See for example: https://www.usinages.com/threads/realis ... ere.70852/
Here above it looks a bit intimidating, but in the next YouTube video the making off is very well shown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8pp3YJijg
As can be seen there at the end a wheel for straight lines can when positioned again in another way produce a diamont-like pattern.
I made this tool, see example pics

Hessel
Attachments
cutting knurl tool
cutting knurl tool
cutting knurl tool
cutting knurl tool
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Thanks for posting this! I acquired a BobsCNC Revolution 4th axis only machine over the summer, and while it's only useful for non-metals it would be interesting to see how knurling worked out. Unfortunately it's about time to head south so it'll be next spring before I can give it a try, the Revo will be taking it's winter nap.

KIrk