Gear Train Calc

For suggestions for future additions
Palamedes
Old Timer

Gear Train Calc

Post by Palamedes »

Instead of having to play 'guess the error threshold' when finding a gear train, it would be nice to have a checkbox that finds the trains with the least amount of error. 

Gear train is awesome.. thanks for this.. but clicking the various max error drop downs while searching can be tedious when you know you want the least amount of error.

Thanks
- Pal
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear Train Calc

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Point taken, I will look into making it easier to traverse the responses.
I will at any rate be revisiting all the modules to try to make them better as soon
as I can finish the last few to fully replace GM, Id really, really really, like to
delete GM from existance as soon as I can.

Thx for the comments,
Art
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Palamedes wrote: Instead of having to play 'guess the error threshold' when finding a gear train, it would be nice to have a checkbox that finds the trains with the least amount of error. 

Gear train is awesome.. thanks for this.. but clicking the various max error drop downs while searching can be tedious when you know you want the least amount of error.

Thanks
Easy, its starts off with the max error in the minus config.
Just scroll down until the minus changes to nothing which is plus and at that junction is the least error.
John S.
Nottingham, England
bosr
Old Timer

Post by bosr »

How do I calculate a 100:1 gear train?
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Using how many trains of gears ?

One train would be something like 10:1000
Two trains would be something like 10:100 / 10:100
John S.
Nottingham, England
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

bosr;

It may be best for Art to explain this to everyone rather than me, however I'll give it a shot anyway.  In order to achieve a ratio calculation, our gear train calculator will require a few inputs to refine it's search. It begins with a min and max tooth count, that is the minimum and maximum amount of teeth to be found on any one gear within your gear train. Next it will require a tolerance error, that is to what decimal place you want this ratio error to be. It may also require you to increase the complexity pairing from 1 to 2 or maybe 3 sets of gears to achieve success for that ratio. Once these parameters are set, the calculator will calculate and display all possibilities that achieved the right combination. If none show up, the ratio isn't possible using those parameters...  Clear as mud, right? lol

Anyhow, a step by step follow thru may help shed some light just in case.. If you select Circular Gears in GT, then Auto Train, a dialog box will appear. Input 100 for your desired ratio, and leave 1 for the input rotation for that 100/1 ratio you asked for. Then select your min and max teeth such as min 10 and max 96  in my example. You can either use preset conversion ratios from the list or leave it as it is with the 1.00000000 settings. Next, select a max allowed error (0.000000001) for this example and when you click search you will find that using complexity of 1 pair of gears will provide no answers, nor does 2 pairs, however 3 pairs does in this scenerio. You may select any one of the possible combinations found in list that will meet your needs, select it, then add it to project as a complete gear assembly in GT..  

The same theory is valid for any ratios also, if no results gets found, select more pairs, if no solutions exist continue with increasing the #teeth, still no answer then lower the max allowed error until you get an answer... Again if no solutions comes up with all parameters tweaked, it is most likely not possible to do your ratio at all..  Hope this helps..

Cheers
Bob

:o  
Gearotic Motion
Bob
bosr
Old Timer

Post by bosr »

John S: As many trains as it takes.

BobL: Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.  I kept getting errors on the inputs I used.  Now with your direction I at least have an understanding of how the values are used to determine the output.

Thanks again.

Randy