Milling rack from top, not side

For suggestions for future additions
Viljo
Old Timer

Milling rack from top, not side

Post by Viljo »

Hello,

Not sure if this has been on the idea list before. But how hard would it be to generate G-code for milling racks from the top, not from the side?

Let's say I want to make MOD1 rack 20mm deep. Milling that from the side is quite impossible to do, as so small and long mills would either break or don't exist at all. But doing that from topside, totally doable.

It would take time to make it cleanly with ball mill, but it's machine time, not mine :)
Last edited by Viljo on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My engravings and things - www.viljomarrandi.com
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Milling rack from top, not site

Post by ArtF »

V:

True.... I can see why youd want to.  My plan is to complete the formulaic gears, then  to
create the capability for doing waterline type cnc, so that any 3d object could be machined from any
user selectable normal. This would also allow that rack to be done from the top..
  I hope to add that at start of next development season, this one has been a long run as I didnt
stop development last year due to G2 being so much of a switchover, but now I think after the formulaic
gear module is released, Ill be taking a long break to plan for 3d carving so that photos, bevels, knots and
things liek racks can be machined in any orientation. This means its likely to be next september before
you see that capability, but it will come..

Thx
Art
Viljo
Old Timer

Re: Milling rack from top, not side

Post by Viljo »

Excellent, good to know. Until then I can use my CAM to get where I want, but when the Gearotic will be "all inclusive" it'll be the awesomest thing.
My engravings and things - www.viljomarrandi.com