Reversing gear

For suggestions for future additions
spike
Old Timer

Reversing gear

Post by spike »

Wondering if you could add this module or if you think it can be made better as it looks like there would be a lot of pressure on the first tooth during reverse cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0XB8Rn9RqA

Thoughts?
Ideas?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reversing gear

Post by ArtF »

Hi Spike:

I think the faster you turn it , the hard it would be on the pinion... It is a complete reversal
pretty much instantly..  I do have this paticular type on the wanted list already, it is
a nice looking kinematic..

Art
spike
Old Timer

Post by spike »

Thanks for the quick reply Art,
I am trying to figure out a cool way to do a reversal and thought this was cool.

Maybe you have another way?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Im not sure I can think of a way to do a good reversal to a object at any speed, it really requires
some sort of curving down in speed then back up to be mechanically elegant. A 4 bar linkage does it
for short periods of the revolution.  The method you show is pretty good for anything decorative..
  Id give it a shot and see. Just make a couple of gears at the right distance, save the shaftinng
DXF which will give you a drawing of all gears superimposed. Shouldnt be hard to remove the correct teeth
for cutting that way..

Art
Nate
Old Timer

Post by Nate »

ArtF wrote:   Im not sure I can think of a way to do a good reversal to a object at any speed, it really requires
some sort of curving down in speed then back up to be mechanically elegant. A 4 bar linkage does it
for short periods of the revolution.  The method you show is pretty good for anything decorative..
In principle a non-circular gear with the right phase could work there - so that there's high torque and low RPM at the transitions.  That would limit other aspects of the design though.