Other Chronometer escapements and powering mechanisms

For suggestions for future additions
BillM
Old Timer

Re: Other Chronometer escapements and powering mechanisms

Post by BillM »

There is a book "The Quest For Longitude" a circa mid1990s compendium of talks given at a symposium on that subject.  He received 10,000 pounds sterling when he took apart H4 in front of the Board of Longitude and turned over his drawings.  To get the remaining 10,000 pounds he had to make two more copies of H4.  He was quite old by the time he made H5 there is no record of an H6.  It was by order of the King that he got some most of the remaining money (less advances that he received).  One article mentioned that over John Harrison's lifetime he did receive over 20000 pounds sterling. What John didn't get was the acknowledgement that he had won the prize.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Well back then that was a true fortune, so I guess he made out well..

And when you consider he had no cnc...wow

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

I've started over on the chronometer simulation...now the gth file is >20Mbyte.  I've tried Kirk's idea of doing a zip file but even that is >7Mbyte.  I do have a tool under Glary Utilities that can spit files in to more manageable sizes...it can also create an addtional .exe file that would allow the file to be recombined.

Attached is a text file summary of the model that I now call ChronoSim-1.

If you are interested in trying to recombine a zipped version of the ChronoSim-1.gth file let me know and I'll give it a try.

Bill

Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Looking good Bill,

No, dont go through all that, Ill wait for the photos when your done.  :-)

Kinda satisfying when you create a large sim and watch it run , eh?

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Hi Art

I think I've gone as far as I can at this time to make the chronometer simulation.  The attached files are snapshots and a video of the simulated chronometer that is named ChronoSim-02.gth.  Aside from the recoil escapement instead of the correct verge escapement the "looks" of the chronometer simulation seems about right.

When I have time I need to begin on a simulation of an E Howard Tower clock that I have access to.  I've taken measurements of the various gears on both the time and the strike side.

Have you ever had need to create a cam / lever arrangement that would trigger some other action in a mechanism?  Would it ever be possible to have a master driver and a subordinate driver.  I'm thinking more about clocks that have both strike and chime gear trains in addition the the normal time drive train.

With the "box" tool is it ever possible to have multiple boxes in the same model?  I'm thinking of mechanisms that might have three or four plates to support the gears.

Bill
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ChronoSim-02-4views.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

I have to say that is the best simulation I have ever seen done in Gearotic, it wipes the floor with any I have done.
Fantastic work. ..

>>ve you ever had need to create a cam / lever arrangeme nt that would trigger some other action in a mechanism?  Would it ever be possible to have a master driver and a subordina te driver.  I'm thinking more about clocks that have both strike and chime gear trains in addition the the normal time drive train.With the "box" tool is it ever possible to have multiple boxes in the same model?  I'm thinking of mechanism s that might have three or four plates to support the gears.

Im afraid youve run the program to the top of its level of complexity. I never really anticipated anyone would to that level, but you managed to.
The problem is one of exponential complexity as you add such things. Its like going from 2d to 3d, the tools I have in there make you think
you have great freedom, but were I to add even one more layer of freedom I think the framework woudl get incredibly difficult to use.

I continue to think about ways to increase the complexity limit.. but its a tough thing to do.. unless you solidcam, and theres a reason that will
cost one 15,000 dollars or so. :).  Great job though, seeing your images gives me some things to think about...

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

Gearotics2 is a fantastic tool to create not only real machines but simulation like the one I put together.  As a former programmer I do understand the exponential growth caused by requests for additional features.

I will continue to try out the other shapes and functions already in Gearotics.

Keep up the great work.

Bill
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

It made me laugh Bill, because that sim was the best Ive ever seen, including my own.. :)

Art