Planetary gear trains

For suggestions for future additions
Barbudania
Old Timer

Planetary gear trains

Post by Barbudania »

Hello there, I'm new to gearotic and its forum. I searched on the forum and I believe the most recent topic on the matter is from 2015.
Was there any update to gearotic to be able to make planetary gear trains? I mean to have gears out on moving arms and stuff.

I'm a mechanical engineer professor and many students have a really tough time in seeing planetary gears moving. They can't understand an example of a sun gear rotating clockwise and a planet gear translating counter-clockwise. I believe it's the only thing I haven't found to give nice examples on the subject.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Planetary gear trains

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Sorry, its an area still lacking. I know its one of the more confusing ones and I do have it back of mind to
add to that kind of capability. But for now, you cant go beyond the simple planetaries now available.

Art
Barbudania
Old Timer

Post by Barbudania »

No problem Art,

I imagine that it's probably more difficult to implement than one can imagine. Since you would have to add an option to keep gears from rotating and, depending on the project, the mechanism may become undetermined.
Although when you have to place the gear connected to another, you kind of experience a planetary train there, so in a way the GUI is already there. But who am I to know what's behind the software.
Well, guess I'll have to find another way to create my own set of Ferguson's mechanical paradox hahaha

Anyway, thanks for responding.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi :

Yeah, it IS the degrees of freedom that create the trouble. All the other simulations have only a single degree,
once you raise that the complexities hurt you. Not that it cant be done, but Im thinking of better kinematics to
allow for it rather than Gearotics rule based simulations.

Art