Maximum tool diameter

For suggestions for future additions
bogus105
Old Timer

Maximum tool diameter

Post by bogus105 »

Hi all,

in the version i have there is an option to see maximum tool diameter when in circular gears tab. However when i switch to non-circular gears (i'd like to cut out oval gears on cnc router) and generate one there are dimensions on the screen but WITHOUT max tool diameter. Art could you add/fix it? Is there any particular reason there is no max tool diameter information listed in non circular gears?

Thanks!:)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Maximum tool diameter

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bogus:

On circular gears the max tool is simple to calculate as the tool that will fit between teeth, only 1 tooth needs to be considered for this so I added it in the original design. When non circulars where designed it wasnt added due to the complexity at the time. The max width tool in a non circular varies dependent on max pressure angle and a few
other factors. Its been a long time since it was done however so I will note to try to add it for future.
  Gearotic doesnt get many updates these days, its age and changing compilers make it fragile
in its builds and difficult to change without affecting someone out there with incompatability. It will
at some point require a new framework to allow much to be added. I have a growing list of things to do should that happen.

In the meantime, Id advise two things. One is to measure the tooth width of the smallest tooth, that will be your max too diameter for that gear. The software will ensure all is fine in the cut so long
as you dont exceed that diameter. Second, when you generate the toolpath, look at the smallest tooth,
if the cutlines cant enter the tooth space, its too large a tool. Try one too large and one small enough and the distinction gets obvious and is a good quick check on your cut path for tool size.

Thx
Art