Cycloid Reducer.

For suggestions for future additions
tweakie
Old Timer

Cycloid Reducer.

Post by tweakie »

Something that has fascinated me for a long time now is the mathematical complexity yet mechanical simplicity of the Cycloid Reducer.

Art, if you ever get bored and need a new project a hypocycloid cam generation may be an interesting addition to Gearotic (perhaps ?).

https://binged.it/2RxIHqK

Tweakie.
Attachments
cycloid1.gif
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cycloid Reducer.

Post by ArtF »

Hi Tweaky:

It was just released in Vexx, I just havent yet made a video on the topic. :)
Youll find a new button on the vex tools that calls up the cycloidic reducer tab.

Art
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Thanks Art, that is a real co-incidence ( or is it subliminal )  :)
I will power-up Vexx and give it a whirl.

Thanks again.

Tweakie.
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Unfortunately...

My version of Vexx is 2.24 which does not appear to have the cycloidic reducer tab and Win10 (in it's wisdom) will not allow me to download Current Development 3.xxx (Click) Even disabling Defender Firewall and Smart Screen it still thinks the download contains a virus and deletes it.  :'(

Tweakie.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Tweaky:

Did you try the win10 based .msi loader on the main download page? It usually works without complaint.

Art
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Post by Dan Mauch »

I too have Vex 2.24 on a win 7 pc and I could not locate the button for the cyclodic function.
Dan Mauch
tweakie wrote: Unfortunately...

My version of Vexx is 2.24 which does not appear to have the cycloidic reducer tab and Win10 (in it's wisdom) will not allow me to download Current Development 3.xxx (Click) Even disabling Defender Firewall and Smart Screen it still thinks the download contains a virus and deletes it.  :'(

Tweakie.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Please try redownloading either of the .exe setups. I have been working to eliminate the
virus warnings and other errors. New setups are now online. Vexx is version .25 if installed
correctly from last setup.
  Id appreciate any experience reports with how it works ( or doesnt) for you.

Thx
Art
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Thanks Art, the Current Development 3.xxx (Click) download now works perfectly and is accepted by Win10.

I now have Vexx 2.25 to explore  ;D

Tweakie.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Tweaky:

Thanks, the button you were looking for is beside the clubfoot escapement button. :)

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Any way to export one as a (series of) stls?

Kirk

Attachments
Cycloid.png
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Each f the components, when generated, are grouped as to function. So, if you select just the
rotor for example, you shoudl be able to select "extrude" in the tools and extrude just the rotor
to an stl.

I havent tested there at all, Im still finalizing that module... Let me know how it works out. :)

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

34 minutes, less if it fails, and I'll have at least the sun and planet (forgot the cycloidal reducer part names).  The pins show up in PrusaSlic3r but not in Repetier-Host so I'll need to look into that one.  Is there only 3 parts?

Kirk
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

With some random giggling I came up with this page which among other things included the attached picture that gives names (at least their names) for the parts.

The pic shows a high speed shaft that looks a lot like a cage gear (although iirc the stl has bad pins), just leaving the low speed shaft and the way it connects to the ring gear.  Do you have any plans to add something like these, or the parts in Tweakie's gif?

The cycloidal disk and ring gear printed OK, although I really should take the time to properly get this new ender 3 pro printer properly set up, particularly as my regular chair sitting time is slowly increasing.  Black 6mm pins are printing as I type this, will either post a photo or pretend it never happened depending on the results :)

Kirk
Attachments
CycloidReducer.png
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

My camera thought it was a face :)

The pins are oversize, 6.2 instead of 6.0mm so it's hard to turn, but turned out pretty decent.

Kirk
Attachments
cycloical.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

If you include the bearing ring, it becomes a differential reducer, hold the ring and the center disk turns, hold the
centering disk and the ring turns..

I am designing a clock to use cycloidals so Im hoping to hold the video until I can show at least one stage
operating. The shaft is usually the hard thing, but Im using small lazy susan bearings that allow you to simply
glue the bearing to the wood offset from center. Makes one easier to make out of wood.

Art